Thursday, September 23, 2010

Walking

Hey,

The last week I've been doing a lot of walking with Lisa.  We've been doing pretty much 4-5 miles per day.  She def. walks a lot faster than when we did our first walks.  It's great to see the improvement.  I'm looking forward to running and I honestly can't feel anything from my achilles, but I just want to make sure and there's no real rush to get back into the running.  I've decided I'm not doing anymore races this year so I may as well make sure it's ready to go before I test it out.  While you're walking you notice more stuff that you wouldn't normally while running.  We've seen lots of deer, some of them are very well cammoflaged, but my keen eyes pick them out.  Yesterday we got to see a owl right up close.  The big sucker landed on a evergreen right beside us.  He kept an eye on us while we watched him.  These things are amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzing creatures and it's rare to get a close up view of one as they are nocturnal and very very shy of humans.  The coolest feature by far is the way they spin the head around.  So cool how they do this with out moving anything else.  I just move my head 90 degrees and I'm straining my neck muscles.

Fall is so nice with the leaves changing color and even with the temps going down(although sounds like we may have a warmer weekend) the air is so crisp.  The leaves on the ground are like a plush carpet, well a carpet that crunches under the feet.  I had an idea while on all these walks.  I might just buy some classic cross country skis and make tracks around our pond near our house.  There's also plenty of other trails through the bush, I could make my own trails.  I have good memories of doing this as a kid.  Make a loop then do laps, I could even time myself and on weekends I could make a trip to COP or Canmore, or K country.  Not sure yet, I go through ideas pretty quickly and my mind really takes off when I think of stuff.  Skis shouldn't be too expensive and it'd be super good exercise in the winter.  I could substitute all the indoor riding with that, make it more exciting.  I even thought of a good goal to work towards.  I really cannot do any type of exercise without giving myself something to work towards.  You guys ever heard of the Canadian berkie?  If I was trained I wonder how long it would take, 4 hours? more?  I guess it depends on the terrain.  It's held near Edmonton so I doubt it would be killer hilly, maybe rolling.  Just a thought, we'll see how far I get with this.  Here's the website http://www.canadianbirkie.com/ Cheers,

dp

2 comments:

Keith said...

I was at a trade show one time where they had some owls to help make a point about animal habitat. They'd give you a glove that makes a hockey glove look like a lace glove a lady would wear for a fancy evening out.

Then they put an owl onto it. The one I had was huge, a great horned owl. It was really cool to feel how he would adjust his weight as I moved my hand around. And the look in his eyes. Total predator.

It's great to get down into Fish Creek, and see all sorts of critters if you keep your eyes open.

runningman said...

Pretty sure that's the guy we saw Keith, I googled it. He flew by us later. I was in awe, total Predator, almost eary. I'm happy I'm not a gopher living in that area. Saw another porky pine about a month ago again. Man I love the wild life I see.