Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Police half no show!!

Hey there,

It's time for another update. The training is going ok, or at least it was. Lately I've gotten a sore throat and have been weak at times since the weekend so I know my body is trying to tell me somthing. Time for a break??? I would have to disagree, but hey, sometimes your body knows best. Sorry I didn't show at the Police half, some of you may be wondering why. I didn't feel particularly happy about racing since the temp is so low. My asthma makes it particularly difficult to run hard. My running still isn't there so to say I was unmotivated going into the weekend would put it mildly. Then when I woke sunday morning I had a sore throat, so that settled it, I'm a no show. I hope the rest of you did well.

I did a couple rides already with the tues/thurs IG crew. They were good, really hard though. The first was a hills night in tuscany(Calgary) with a short hill that we did just before IMC last year. I at first figured that Greg would take it easy on us since it was our first outdoor hill ride, I was dead wrong. I think I managed 8 repeats alternating hard/easy (if there is such a thing as a easy hill). At one point I remember doing a hill with Greg on my tail watching my technique. At the top he gave me a few pointers then he has the nerve to ask if that was a hard or easy one???? I'm like, you couldn't tell??? What can I say obviously I have lots more work to do to be able to climb like him. I will try to push him though mark my words, if I have to TT it down the hill to get a head start on the next one I'll do it. hee hee

The second was last week ummm somtime before the cold crappy weather came back. Greg wasn't there actually so he phoned Leslie and gave us the workout by phone. It was pace lining with some tempo, again I thought hmmm doesn't sound too tough. I was wrong again, Chris immediatly takes off head down TT into the wind all the way to Cochrane. I thought we'd be pace lining, riding "together" but I was wrong. So Trevor and I hook up and make it our goal to catch him. I don't know about Trevor, but I had to work my ass off just to keep up. We took turns evenly pulling and slowly slowwwwwwwwwly we pulled Chris back. We tried to get the rotation going, but Chris would have none of it and took off on his own again just before we got to Cochrane. Trevor dropped back and I stayed just with in reach till we stopped at the top of the Cochrane hill, man was I ever wiped, so much for aerobic, hee hee. But what a way to break in the outdoor season, too bad I'm sittin in doors now.

So with the crappy weekend, trying to taper a bit for the Police half, then getting the sore throat I haven't really done much for 4 days now. Oh well I think I am dodging most of the cold by taking vitamins, plenty of rest, and of course garlic pills. I should be ready to go by wednesday for sure. Looking forward to this weekend. the forecast looks like +14 for the long ride, it should be good to get out there again and letter rip. Cheers all,

DP

5 comments:

Julie said...

Sorry to hear about your sore throat, but a big thanks for staying away with all those garlic pills you've been taking...LOL!! Just kidding!

You take care, get better, and just watch how quickly your biking legs will come back to you! There'll be a bunch of dudes struggling to keep up with you soon enough, my friend! :) :) :)

Keith said...

You missed a great race day, but I guess if your throat isn't up to it, better to give it a miss. I'd been watching the weather all week, and had no idea what was coming. Just happy to get what we did.

Anonymous said...

Get well,Sometimes when I do hard intervals at max I break down & get sick,So I try to stay out of the zone 5 stuff now.Hope ya feel better soon,Maybe we could get together in Calgary before the marathon?

Shannon Wicks said...

Good luck this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hey are you still around???