Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ups and downs, Mom,"Isn't that like life?" Me,"Exactly!"

Hey all,

Well we've had a good spring so far. I hardly want to say anything about it for fear of jinxing it. Sunday looks good again so I will keep my fingers crossed, that happens to be my long ride day this week so please hope/pray with me.

The last week(7 days) or so have been a roller coaster ride. I have had some awesome epic workouts, then there have also been some workouts I'd rather forget and even some that didn't happen. Chuckie had to adjust my schedule more than once. That's why I changed the QOTD on the side, mostly for myself to read and reaffirm.

So to change things up I thought I'd just summarize the last 7 days or so of Highlights and Lowlights. lol I'll start with the Lowlights so I can end on a positive note. There will be a bunch and some may appear in both lists depending how you look at them.

Lowlights:
1. Swimming on my own. I find this really hard to do because I don't enjoy every minute of swimming. So I'm looking for a good group to swim with, somthing affordable, but with faster swimmers to challenge me. My swim needs work.
2. Going on a long ride Saturday and only bringing regular Gaterade, then waiting till the 3 hour mark to stop at a gas station buy a power bar, water bottles were empty at that point. dumb dumb dumb(in my defense I never expected to ride that far see Highlights)
3. Missing my saturday morning swim because I was just too damn tired to get out of bed. :(
4. Along with #3 having to tell Chuckie to change the schedule, no matter how much people including Chuckie tells me that this is ok and that I am not a looser for missing a workout, a tiny part of me will always feel guilty.
5. Having to ease up on my Sunday long run and cut my long swim short too(although not as short as Chuckie instructed, see Highlights).

Highlights:
1. Riding 148km in March!!!! (I've never done that before ever!!)
2. Thursday Chuckie gave me a triple run day and I friggen nailed the third on tired legs and a hilly course smashing my previous best tempo run!!! Did I mention I love running?? Fast???
3. Good outdoor ride last tuesday, 90min hard 100km total
4. Swimming more than Chuckie had given me on Sunday since this was really the missed Saturday workout. The original plan was for a main set of 38x100 with 10 secs rest, he said I could shorten it, I ended up feeling good so I did 35(the pool closed then or I woulda finished)
5. 19 hours last week, never done that this time of year.

4 comments:

goSonja said...

word to that brotha' Chuckie is really good. I agree too that I try my hardest not to miss workouts, but when I do, he's really good about it.

12.5 weeks to go until we meet in IM land!!

Julie said...

You are doing such an amazing job this year Darryl! Try not to be too hard on yourself -- you are MILES ahead of where you were last year! The misses or "lowlights" are just getting the kinks and cobwebs out -- like cleaning the closet.

You are going to rock this year!!!! :) :) RUNNINGMAN!!!! :) :)

www.terrifeltham.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenna said...

Sorry I was signed in as my sister.... lol. I smell something...do you? I smell an athlete who is getting ready for a stellar year. Let go of what you missed, celebrate what you did and move on. It's all good!!!
And coaching makes alot of difference - good coaching changes everything!!