Tuesday, February 12, 2008

LTHR

Hey,

I did somthing different in my training. I was reading some blogs and found a good LTHR (lactate threshold heart rate) test that's pretty simple to do on your own. Well not quite on my own, I did have a buddy taking down heart rates since I don't have a fancy heart rate monitor that gathers max heart rate every lap. Keep in mind this test is not super accurate, although I'm sure the more I do it the easier it will become to grade my efforts. The test is from Joel Friel, as well as Tim Luchinske(another really good coach).

So it goes somthing like this, put the threadmill at 3% grade. Give yourself a good warmup, make sure your heart rate is steady when you start and pick a good speed that is comfortable. Then move up the speed in increments of 0.3 mph and take the max heart rate on each speed. Use 90 second increments. Basically keep recording till you can't continue. As you get better at this you'll know when you have the data you need and won't have to go as far(it hurts towards the end).

From looking at Joe and Tim's examples I kinda knew what the graph should look like so when I plotted mine I knew the heart rate should steadily go up till it hits a certain part, there it should plane out a bit and finally jump up again. After the plane I think it jumps up and down. So in essence there are 3 sections, the steady rise(fat burning). As it planes out I'm guessing the body is burning more lactate acid at that point, and when it jumps up at the end the body can no longer remove the lactate from the blood and starts to store it. This is the definition of lactate threshold. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is correct. I'm reading the book "The triathlete's training bible" and Joe Friel and Tim Luchinske both have blogs you can read.

So looking specifically at my graph I know it's not that obvious, you may be thinking that the little hump before it may be the actual threshold. I didn't think it was cause when I did the test my monitor was see sawing a bit so we tryed to kinda take the averages and if you follow the line it kinda averages out. Another thing is I noticed my heart rate was generally a little higher then during my long run on the weekend so I'm not sure how acurate this test was. Either way I'm learning and I have a ways till spring(when I'll actually use these numbers). I can do a few more tests to try and get it dialed in more. I noticed one small discrepancy. Joe marks his threshold at the front of the plain, while Tim marked his example at the back of the plain right at the point where it jumps up again. /shrug it's only a dif. of 2 beats for me so I'll go with Joe's definition.

Oh I almost forgot, what to do with the number we found. Joe Friel has a chart, so once you have the LTHR you can simply look it up and he gives you all your zones. Of course my test was for running only, to get your bike values all you need to do is simply add 10 for the bike and 15 for the swim. I'll include the chart for your info.

http://www.performancetrainingsystems.com/newstips/tips_zone_finder.html

I know Cam already knows most of this stuff and tests himself. This test is also a good way to analyze your fitness level. Maybe I can get lab tested some time this year. Cheers,

Darryl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff D!!!!
I have done this test,but not lately.You should only have to do it 2-3 times to get your lactate threshold number.
The number where your hr levels off & you start burning lactate.My last test was 178bpm at this level.This is the top end of my zn 4 on the friel chart.NEVER exceed this number in an ironman,preferably zn 1-2.
once you have the number,you are correct in taking all of your zones from the charts.Bike add 10.Dont worry about the swim hr zones(youll never use em anyways)

Good to see ya on track.Take it easy with these tests,as they can be hard on your system.