Thursday, November 5, 2009

Dr. Dolittle

I'm totally lovin the nick name. I love the paths near my house with all the wildlife I see. I don't see bears like Cam, he def. has me beat, but I think I probably see more of the other stuff then he does. :P Yesterday running in the dark, I'm running along a gravel path with a chain link fence on one side of me. I don't see that well in the dark although I have really good vision.... for a human that is and I know what to look for in the dark, shadows, movement, etc. Anyways up ahead I see this shadow cross the path towards the fence. I suspected right aways what it was before I even got close. Sure enough I could see this creature about the size of a big beaver had some trouble pulling him/herself up onto the fence. By the time I got there, it had shinnied itself up on top and I saw that it was a porky pine!! These creatures are soo cool!! So I stopped and talked to him/her. It wasn't that worried about me, but I did see it's predicament. I could see it was a bit worried about jumping down and couldn't climb down either since going up was kinda awkward in itself. So it just sat on the top and waited for me to leave. It crawled back and forth a bit on the top, me standing about 10 ft away and talking to Mr. porky. I wondered what it would feel like to pet him and of course get a gift of prickles. No wonder these guys don't stress themselves out much over humans, or any predators!! I doubt many animals will mess with a porky pine, other than a stupid dog!! Anywho he sat there and actually started eating leaves/branches from a near by tree. Then I bid my farewell and ran off into the night. One of my fav. animals. :)

DP

5 comments:

Julie said...

I see the doctor is back in business! Hahahahaha!! What an amazing experience to observe a porcupine that close! That would have been so neat to see him eating! :):)

I've never been that close to a porcupine -- lots of skunks -- boy do I ever hoof it when I see a skunk! They scare me WAY more then bears! LOL!!

Keith said...

When I worked at the plant, they taught us to scuff our feet when we walked around outside at night. Skunks were one reason. They had no fear of us at all. I nearly kicked one once, walking around half asleep. I saw a porcupine once. The other day running in Canyon Meadows I was close enough to a big deer of some kind to pet it. No kidding. I didn't though, it was looking nervous.

Anonymous said...

Cool,I have'nt run into a Porcupine yet!The reason I see so many bears here is that they love to eat garbage & people love to leave their garbage out so the bear can get at it.It brings the bears into or close to town.

How is the training going there?Maybe we could hack out some xc skiing this year?Later,Cam.

Lisa Ulrich said...

How cool to see a porcupine! They are very strange creatures. Good thing you didn't try and pet him!

Anonymous said...

Hi Daryl,
Did you also succeeded to enter to 2010 IM AZ ?

Marcel.