Monday, December 14, 2009

The next time someone tells you you can't do somthing...

"You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period." Chris Gartner - Pursuit of Happiness

I don't know about you, but most people don't tell me I can't do somthing, the only one that does that occasionally is myself. I think the quote still applies.

Had a good ride yesterday. I got my new trainer, it's a new Kurt Kinetic. It has a power meter on the computer, it's not super accurate and doesn't actually measure power. It calculates it based on my weight, speed, and maybe cadence. It should be close enough for my purposes since there is no grade, or wind in my basement other than the occasional wind comin from the backside of my cycling shorts. Anyways I wasted no time in climbin aboard the pain train. I don't think I've ever hurt so much as I did yesterday. I basically did an hour ALL out. This is done to get a FTP(functional threshold power) number, which ends up being the average power that I can do over the course of an hour. I really didn't know what to expect and had to guess at what gear/effort I should start at. Anyways I think it went well, started out at about 230W and worked it up to nearly a sprint at the end 346W for an average of 251W. I was hoping for around that so I'm really happy. I'm not too sure how accurate this is, but as long as I keep the conditions the same and do the test on the same meter I'll know how I improve over the course of the winter.

DP

3 comments:

Julie said...

Anything is possible -- go chase down your dreams!! :) :)

Awesome sprint finish -- WOW -- I bet you were feeling the pain after that monstrous effort. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey D,I will run in the speedo at ironman Canada this year!!!

I will have to go check my journals for these test results for myself,I have done the bike & run tests,but it has been a while.

I will look at em & talk to you later,Cam.Good job on sufferin on your new pain machine!!!

Trevor Oseen said...

Good numbers D.