Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What the heck happened???

Last night I got home, took a short nap and went for my regular run. I dressed up appropriately, checked the weather hmmm -11. Hadn't run in that this year yet, but hey the first digit is a one, how bad can it be??? Well it was cold for me, seriously what happened? I come from manitoba, I'm supposed to be tough!! I worked outside framed houses in -50 weather at times(that includes the windchill) got home and would go for a run. And I did that regularly, some weeks I ran every night after work. It was hard, I remember coming home thinking all I want to do is warm up, yet knowing I'd have to go back outside for a cold.... bitter cold run. I lived in the country too, the roads were pitch black. One particular week I did 10 miles each day and the minimum temp was -25(just temp). There was one day I remember not being able to make it home, I had to call home from a neighbors' for my dad to come pick me up. I usually ran with wind first, but that day I underestimated the wind chill and ran with wind first. I tried to turn back again into the wind, but I just couldn't, my face froze. I also one time got stuck in a huge snow storm. It started out ok, running in the tree'd area, but as soon as I turned and headed out of the tree line the storm started. At one point I couldn't see the road at all, I was basically running on feel. Had to alternate running forward and backwards to give my face a break from the pelting snow. Made it home that time with icycles hanging from my face. But yesterday...... I really realized how much Calgary has wussified me. I need to go find me a framing job again...

6 comments:

i am Susan said...

I know every year it takes my body longer and longer to adapt to cold weather. I think that is why all the retired people leave for the winter.

Keith said...

That's right. A few years of city life, and you've become a softie. Maybe we should put together a tri race, to be held in Winterpeg, in January. Then we'll know who's tough.

Julie said...

So funny you mention this -- I was just thinking the same thing today. I think it's because the temperature suddenly plummeted -- there was no easing into winter. It was 7 degrees on the weekend and then WHAMMO -20. MINUS 20.

I think we are all justified in feeling like wusses. Hahahaha!

Anonymous said...

Go over to Curtis's house & Rock his treadmill!!!I like being outside,but I dont run as much outside as I used to.

Trevor Oseen said...

Yeah, I know how you feel. Hopefully the FA50 in February will be warm as 4+ hours in -15 is not all that pleasant. Looks like you will have a cold one this weekend.

Charlie Browne said...

I do not think we get soft as we get older but maybe we are more cold sensitive....just like our teeth!! LMAO. I dislike winter more every year!