Friday, June 18, 2010

Long update

Heya!

No not the ironman itself, but the training. At least the last hard workout was yesterday. I'll have a few short hard ones, but not difficult overall, just to keep the legs sharp. I have 2 more days of work left, monday and tuesday. We're gonna head south on wednesday morning, I think I'll have a laptop with so I can update the blog(for the couple readers I do have lol).

Lets back up to last weekend a bit, 2 weeks before race day. The saturday plan was to hurt, more specifically 5 hours hard. Greg, Trevor, Curtis, and myself went out and did exactly that. We headed out on springbank road and probably 30-40minutes in I upped the tempo to a nice brisk pace. I had decided before hand that I wasn't drafting today so I kept it at that. Man it's hard to keep out of the draft zone and since Trevor, Greg and myself(although Curtis wasn't far back at all) are so close in ability we constantly pass each other. Gotta back off immediatly to stay away from the sweet spot. Maybe I should do this more often?? Anyways I won't get into the ride specifically except that we pushed it, a lot harder than I could on my own. Did a short transition run after too.

Then Sunday Curtis and I headed to the track. My legs were so heavy from the hard bike effort the day before. At the start we met an old friend from when I first moved to Calgary. Curtis and I met at the Running Room club on Sunday mornings and this guy Rob Beerkins was there. I never recognized him till I heard his name, WOW hadn't seen this guy in like 8-9 years!! Man how time flies. It was really sweet to catch up. It didn't sound and look like Rob had done much training lately, in fact he admitted that this was going to be his first run in years. Curtis and I tried to encourage and started our workout. 6 miles at 150bpm for me and then a pyrmid of intervals. The sun was out too, what a rare treat, I forgot to mention we had sun on saturday too. I got some block on, but apparently missed a few spots so I shall be wearing a few tan lines for cda. Those who know me won't be surprised, just take a look at my cda 07 pics. I still have burn marks from that. Anyways the track workout got done, another weekend in the tank and the last hard one. WOOT!!

Yesterday I went for a massage and once again yikes my massage therapist hurt me. HURT ME BAD!! You know on that hard long ride I apparently hurt my back some. Nothing serious just some knots that need to be taken care of. She does an amazing job on my knots, holy cow I had knots all over not just my back. If any of you need a good massage therapist in the Inglewood area, give her a shout. http://www.ifhc.ca Lexis is her name. My back is a lot better now thanks to her. I might just go for a 30min rub down on tuesday before we leave.

Another news item, my mom is coming with us to CDA. Yep that's right mommy is flying into Calgary to drive with us out to cda and watch her baby(I'm the youngest in the fam) race!!! She's also bringing some special treats from Manitoba. Home made perogies, and some Manitoba farmer sausage mmmmmmmmmmm they are absolutely the BEST!!! (Don't worry Chuckie that's all for post race celebrations). We also signed up Lisa and my mom to volunteer at the race. My mom is tickled pink to help out with the race, she is so pumped to help out. I suggested it to Lisa two days ago since last year they couldn't come into the finish area to see me after the race(in the medical tent) So this way they're at the transition/finish, will be done so they can watch most of the race(5:30-10:30am is their shift) and will also have access to the finish area. WOOT

Anyways that's probably it for now, I've written my longest post ever I think. Like I said hopefully I can post in cda every day. Race day as usual you can check out www.ironmanlive.com for race coverage, you just have to go to the race Ironman couer d' alene and punch in the number 646 and or the last name Penner and voila my race splits. K, over and out.

DP

4 comments:

Keith said...

Maybe I should offer coaching to help people train to write longer blog posts. Hope you have a great day a CDA!

Anonymous said...

Hope you & your family have a great race experience in CDA!!!I will call ya before you leave,Cam.

Julie said...

You have put in so much solid training this year Darryl -- you are going to frigging rock that course!!

That is so cool your Mom is coming down with you guys -- and what a great idea for them to volunteer so they can have access to their athlete! YAY!!!

See you soon!!!!! :) :) :)

Kelly B. said...

That's great your mom is coming to watch!! And you will ALWAYS be the baby...this is what I keep telling my little one even though he so badly wants to "grow up"!!

Good luck Darryl!! Even though you don't need it...you have put the time and effort in, now it just all comes together on race day!