Monday, August 16, 2010

I'm back in the saddle again

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack as Mr. Tyler says. The trip was awesome, I have some pics up located here http://picasaweb.google.ca/Darryl.Penner few highlights and lowlights were.

Highlights:

-Meeting the inlaws. They are grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat, Lisa's dad and I spent a lot of time hangin out joking around, etc.
-Time at the beaches, to get to the one you see in the pics you have to go on a windy, twisty, narrow road to get to. It was nesttled right in the mountains with thick rain forest all around. Really beautiful
-Swimming with Dad(in law) he loves the water almost as much as I do. I think I even taught him a few things on open water swimming
-meeting the uncles,aunts, cousins
-The trinidad people are super nice, despite not being able to understand them at times(yes even though they're talking English)
-The hot humid weather, I loved it!!!
-I didn't get burnt at all, weird cause it didn't rain all the time, some each day, but there was still plenty of sun.
-Going bareback at the track(it was just too himid to run with a shirt, hello 100% humidity) and not being made fun of too much for being so damn white
-Talking with a triathlete from Trinidad(he saw my IM shorts)
-The food!!! (lots of curreys, Roti, chicken, goat, duck)

Lowlights:

-loosing my wedding ring :( (although it's not my fault, I gave it to Lisa for safe keeping while we swam) I swam every where around there on the sandy bottom looking for it with my goggles
-understanding what people were talking about. They speak english, but with such a thick accent and slang(or w/e you'd call it) that at times I couldn't even get the jist of the conversation. I got better towards the end of the second week and was starting to get some sayings. A popular one is YEAH BOY!!! (you would say this as a greeting to pretty well anyone, no disrespect meant at all)
-huge blisters on my feet from the longer runs I did have on the track(Dad and I went to the track a few times to run/walk) because it was soooo humid my shoes got soaked.
-delayed flights, all 6 of them!!!

That's pretty much it, feel free to ask questions if you like. I might actually answer them. Other than that I'm back and running, not so much swimming or biking. I might give ultra marathoning a go this fall and next year. We'll see how my body likes the extra miles. Ran 20.5 miles yesterday and it wasn't too bad. I have a slight hip thing that comes and goes, doesn't bother me while running though later after sitting for awhile and I get up. Cheers,

DP

5 comments:

Kelly B. said...

Awesome pics!! What a great trip! And don't worry about the ring...my hubby has lost three now...and I am too cheap to buy him another one...he is going to have to wait for a bit!!

Anonymous said...

D,just went through your photos,What a Beautiful place!!!Your tri photos bring back lots of memories for me as well:)
I have lost my ring once.Got a new one,fortunatly for me is that the Titanium rings we have were only around $150 to replace!
Are ya going to Penticton to enter for next year?Let me know,Cam.

Trevor Oseen said...

I guess I don't tri hard enough to lose my ring as I have had the same one for 13 years and have had it resized twice since I lost my 66 pounds (that was before I met choo).

I think you should do the Frozen A$$ 50 this year and school me on how to do an ultra. It will be my third in a row if I am in Canada.

Super pics man!

runningman said...

Yeah, we were thinkin of getting it resized. Didn't know for sure if we could because it's tungston. Now when ring shopping and we found the same one we also find out that nope... you can't resize tungston. Nice they have the same one, maybe this time around I'll get the right size to begin with.

runningman said...

Oh and Trev. I'm thinking of doing the Frozen ass, a big IF things go well and I don't get injured.