Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Riverbend Run club is growing

Not sure if I actually mentioned before that I have started a run club in my community. Today was pretty exciting as we got 6 people out to run, usually it's 2-3, but it's slowly expanding. With the expansion it only encourages more to come out so I expect it to really pick up. Heck even solo runners on the pathway can't help but notice the big grp running together right? We meet at 6pm at our community centre and run 4.5 km, I usually sneak out after for an additional run.

Someone asked me today why I do this? I had to think about it for a sec, I guess I've really got a passion for running, triathlon too, but mostly running. I just want to share it with everyone. I know what it's done for me in my life, I know it can help others too. It's contagious too isn't it? You guys know what it's like for yourselves, but when you hear about someone talking about a big PB in a race or a experience where they were able to run through discomfort, etc. It seems to re-kindle the flame right? Maybe I'm seeing it's harder for me to run PBs so I like to help others do it uh? See! you knew there was a selfish spin on it, and there is to some extent. Not to give me credit or anything, I couldn't careless about that, just to see someone else realize their potential.

Oh and btw I had a really good run after the club, I did 8x intervals. Not time/distance based or anything, they were usually about 400m and just went by heart rate. I'm getting faster even with the less mileage. DP out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Karma!!! You will still pb.seeing other people find joy in running is a very satisfying thing.

Lisa Ulrich said...

That is so awesome that you put together the run group - it is a wonderful way to give back to the sport and it's always so great to see new people getting started in running and/or triathlon.

I loved your baby skunk post! I've never seen a baby skunk but can imagine how cute it must have been to see 7 all at once!