Friday, July 22, 2011

skunks!


I went for a late night run yesterday. I think I headed out at like 9:45(the best time to run). The flies were bad, I had to watch the eyes and mouth for intruders constantly although I failed at times. For the first part of my run I go along a pathway that has peoples' backyards facing it. Lots of really nice yards with trees, flowers, roses, etc. It was starting to get dark so it was a blur at first, but I saw some rustling, a lot of black and white blur. I stopped and realized there were a pile of baby skunks running around the yard. It took me awhile to get a proper head count as they were running around and it was a big family!! The mother didn't even take too much notice of me and retreated underneath some bigger plants. I was able to get in real close and count 7 babies!! Amazing, those things are the cutest ever, and really tame too. I think I could have picked them up they ran right up to my feet. Although it was in someone's backyard so maybe they are pets?

3 comments:

Julie said...

OMG!! You know baby skunks are so cute!! Hee-hee!! That is so awesome you saw 7 of them! :) Good think you didn't get sprayed too...man oh man, after having 2 dogs for 11 years, I've had my share of trying to get rid of that stank. LOL.

Keith said...

When I worked night shift at the plant we always scuffed our feet whe we walked outside. Lots of skunks. They had no fear of us at all, and didn't mind if we got fairly close, but they didn't like surprises AT ALL. Not even a little bit.

Anonymous said...

That is really cool D! I would rather see this than a boring old bear anyday. I see a bear almost everytime I go out. The latest was the bear that walked out across the highway about 30 feet in front of me & did not even look at me on my bike.I didnt even have time to stop.Good thing he wasnt interested in me!!!