Tuesday, July 12, 2011

still kicking

Hey all,

Things are going good over here. I'm riding my bike again!! Just got back from a nice little ride to Sikome lake with 8 climbs and then ride home. I went out late and actually only finished 9:45, riding in the dark for the last few minutes. It rained a bit, although at times when I thought it was rain it was actually the swarms of fruit flies and mosquitoes. Saw some deer and scare the crap out of a coyote as I rode up quietly behind him.

I'm running as well, right now as long as I get a ride or run in every day I'm fine. Since I'm not doing that much I try to include quite a bit of intensity. I'm already thinking of Ironman next year, although I'm not swimming yet.

Couple of new things I've started this year is coaching(two marathoners) and a mini run club in our community of Riverbend. The interest has been slow for the run club, but I'm gradually having more and more contact me. The key is to get more regulars showing up every week.

The coaching is a lot of fun too. I'm really lucky to guide a couple of good runners. They're doing the Victoria marathon in Oct. I've learned so much with both of these ventures. It's one thing to train and follow what you know works for you. It's completely different to try to learn how someone else responds to different training stress. Everyone's different, what works with one will not work with another. That's why it's so important for communication in the athlete/coach relationship. Cheers,

DP

No comments: