Sunday, November 13, 2011

Last Chance Half mary

Hey,

I ran the Last chance half marathon today.  I almost didn't show as I'm still not quite over a cold I got like 4 weeks ago?  I'm really over the cold itself, I just have a bit of a sore throat/cough.  I've had no problems training through it now, I just notice it when I'm breathing hard.  The dry cold air makes me cough.  So I woke up in the morning still not sure if I'd even go run.  I didn't feel too bad, so I went. 

Started out ok, but after about 5k I thought I was done.  This is the spot where we cross back over the river and I was contemplating just jogging back along the Oclare side back to the start/finish.  I felt really weak, no energy even though I know I hadn't started out too fast, must be the bug/cold thing.  I slowed a bit, let all the runners around me go ahead thinking I'd run easier a bit and see how I feel.  Well I started to feel a bit better and noticed myself picking up the pace again.

I continued on and actually felt ok in the middle(miles 5 - 10) and re-passed all those I had previously let go.  Then towards the end I was still on pace to go under 90 minutes, but then into the last 3 miles, into a head wind and I just had nothing left.  I was running all by myself and walked a couple times inside the second last mile.  I thought for sure the sub 90 goal wasn't in the cards.  But then I got to 20k and noticed I had 5 minutes to run the last km.  No problem, so I sucked it up and finished ok.  Felt kinda lousy for having to walk, it always sucks to have to succumb to that.  But to run sub 90 on a bad day.  I just know my running fitness is better than that.  Next time...  Here's the Garmin:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/128584108  (yes the course was a touch short)

DP

PS:  Good luck in AZ Cam, I just know you're going to rock it!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Congrats on the sub 1:30 Darryl! Even though it was a crap race for you, that is a GREAT result!! High five dude!! :)

Anonymous said...

Sub 1:30 is always a decent run! It shows that you have good fitness! It would have been fun to have you guys down here inAZ. Maybe next year??? Later,Cam