Monday, January 21, 2008

running challenge done

Heya,

I'm done with the challenge. Yesterday I just couldn't get in the run. I was going to swim in the afternoon, take Lisa to Banff(she's taking some work training there for 2 weeks) then run later. However, when I got home I knew there was no way I was running outside in the cold -18 or so. Yes I am a wimp, I get sick easy when I run outdoors in the winter. The gym was closed by that time. I also did have a pretty good week of training, nearly 15 hours and needed the rest so I took the day off. The swim didn't also happen in the early afternoon because there was a swim meet going on at the Y. I feel pumped and ready to go today, that's a good sign of fitness. Fast Recovery

I kinda didn't think the challenge would last with me this year as it's definatly not a priority. Some days I need more recovery. I really want to go into spring with consistent 14-15 hour weeks with recovery weeks so I have the base I need for 20+ hour weeks. The swim/run will be the focus till spring when it'll be all about the bike this year. I know it's all about the run in an Ironman, however the way I see it is if my cycling is strong it'll help me run stronger off the bike. I've always been an ok runner and I definatly have a good running base, there's just more room for improvement on the bike and therefore would be my biggest time gain.

I went and rode the P2 dura ace on saturday. The 56 cm fit me perfectly which is good cause they have those in. I haven't put money down on it yet, but I'm 90% sure I'll go for it. I'm not in a rush, as long as I get it for spring. :) Cheers,

Darryl

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is why I didnt start the run challenge again.I would rather work on my strength right now.

15 hour weeks already???I thinkm that is too much at this point in the season,I m still inprep phase doing around 7 hours a week,Man I dont even do too many 15 hour weeks at peak ironman training.

Usually do 3 hours swimmin/4-5 runnin/9-10 on the bike & that tops me out at 16 to 18 hours during my peak weeks around a month or so before ironman.

Be careful not to over do it this early in the year,there is still 8 months to go.

just my 2 cents,Do what is best for you,as different things work for different people.I have done huge mileage & time & IT ISNT for me.I just end up burned out.

Rock on,Cam.

Trevor Oseen said...

Hey, you gave it a whirl and that's what counts!