Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Running

Hey all,

I did manage to get out for a run yesterday. It didn't start too good, I got warmed up ok, just got the low blood sugar from drinking pop and a few chocolates earlier in the day. We still have chocolate in the house from the Trick or Treaters, or lack of since we weren't even at home.

Anyways I got out the door before dusk, told Lisa I'd be about 40-50 min. I didn't feel very good at all, like I said the low blood sugar hit me at about the 20 min mark just before the hill heading south along the river. It hit me harder then usual and the extra weight didn't help. Oh well I just dialed it back a bit and made it to the top and kept going. Made it to the turn around and wanted to keep going, so I kept on trucking. I was practicing my neighborly attitude so I tried to greet everyone I met(there were a lot) even the grouchy looking ones. Some would ignore me, some would grunt or mumble something I couldn't quite make out, but there were some that completely perked up. I'd like to think I made someone's day by acknowledging them and giving them a smile. Here's to Darryl changing the world one "Hello how are you?" at a time ha ha ha. There are sooo many dog owners in my new neighborhood too. I even greeted some of them as well. They totally get who amongst us are dog lovers.

Then after coming back down the hill on the other side, going much further then I originally wanted. That's strange eh, usually it's when you feel good that you go further, not worse?!?!?! That's part of my stubborn nature, not wanting to give in. Or simply keep going till I feel good again. Well on the way back, running along some of the many trails through the bush I started to get over the low blood sugar. I'm not sure how this works, I didn't know you could recover from that, but you can ...... after awhile.

Well on the way back somthing really irriatated me, I need some opinions from you guys. The deer are really really tame here. Nothing out of the norm most Calgary deer are like that and almost approachable. Yet the first time I met this group it seemed really eary. I can't remember and am too lazy to check if I mentioned this to you guys, I know I did to Lisa but I coulda sworn these deer at this one place were actually begging for food. I told Lisa, "I bet someone is feeding them." This time coming back I happen apon this guy and his wife, he has a backpack on the ground FULL of pellets of some sort feeding them right out of his pack. I never have anything smart to say while running so all I could manage was, "You're feeding them?!?!?". He replys with, "A little bit yeah." just like I caught him with his hand in the cookie jar. I didn't say anything else but it really ticked me off. Doesn't he realize what it's teaching these deer(most of them were really young). They're not learning to find food themselves, they were even begging me for food the other time I met them. He's either really really dumb or incredibly selfish. I'd go so far as to say that he's killing those deer. It'd be fine if they were starving, somtimes in Manitoba when the snow got to hard and the deer couldn't get through they'd put out lots of hay for them to eat. But that's different, these deer are NOT starving. Isn't it in fact illegal to feed deer? Oh well rant over you can tell me if I'm over reacting, or if I should report this guy??? Cheers,

Darryl

7 comments:

Leslie said...

Hey Darryl,

I agree with you about the Deer. The term wild animals comes to mind. At home all of the time we have a hard time with people feeding the bears, how stupid can you be?

Trevor Oseen said...

Report the dude...

runningman said...

Actually I thought of a awesome idea. I could use it as my own fartlek workout. There are so many possibilities here too. I could sprint by, grab the back pack(scaring the deer away so as to give them a bit more respect of humans, sorry I love them, but if it's for their own good) Then as the guys yelling and chasing me sprint away spreading the food out on the ground as I go. Then throw the back pack down and keep running. Hopefully he's not too fit and would give up the sprint when I turf the bag. I could do this every evening if he's there. It would also get harder and harder as he'd be waiting and ready for me, and possibly getting fitter too???

Anonymous said...

call the local conservation officer,I believe that it is illegal to feed wildlife.the deer will find people food aywhere & there will always be someone else to feed em,dont get too upset about it.At least he is feeding them something good for em like the pellets.
I saw a guy in Banff feed a whole loaf of bread to a deer!!!!

runningman said...

Yeah I just called to enquire and it is not illegal.... yet. Apparently they're working on that(what ever that means). No I'm calmed down now, lol and no I will not attempt to do anything about it, you guys should know by now I'm harmless and avoid conflict at all costs. ha ha ha I did see Mr. Buck yesterday running at night, that was cool, he seemed to be looking for his own food.

Julie said...

Geesh! I know some people just love animals and want to help, but they are doing more damage than not. I had to laugh at the image of you grabbing that guy's pack! Hahahahaha!! That'd be something to see. :) :)

I still can't believe the idiocy of people though -- just because it's not illegal doesn't mean it's a good idea. Keep on runnin'!! :) :)

Susi said...

you know me - sucker to all animals; however even I would not feed the deers, or ducks or any wildlife. as much as they are adorable and i'd love to help them, in the long run i know it wouldn't be helpful. you are correct in saying that they need to know how to fend for themselves, because what happens when he stops?

i would phone fish and wildlife and ask what they suggest for this situation.

thank you for caring!