Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Off Season and some thoughts

Hey all,

I haven't been doing much training lately. Mostly running like 3-4 times a week and a few mountain bike rides mostly around the city on bike paths. It's been a good time of recharging. I toyed with the idea of doing a fall marathon since my running legs are still there, but changed my mind. I still don't have the desire to train hard yet. I won't rush things, just take it easy, probably move up to a easy workout a day for Oct. Then hit up the routine for Nov. I haven't taken up the fishing yet. I still could do this provided the weather stays ok, but I have done some gardening. What??? Gardening?? Yes that's right Lisa and I want to plant a few things in our backyard, such as strawberries, maybe some trees and saskatoon bushes. So we made a trip to http://www.saskatoonfarm.com/ a couple weeks ago and got like 3 saskatoon bushes and a japanese lilac tree. If you haven't been to this place yet you should. It's not only a nursury, but they have lots of cool antiques, you can pick saskatoons there(in season of course) and a restaurant with one of the bestest saskatoon pie you will EVER TASTE!! I'm not kidding it was amazing!!

I read this really interesting article on xtri.com here is the main part and the source:

One of the most dangerous things I sometimes see in the athletes I work with or meet is a mismatch between their race performance goals and their willingness to make the sacrifices it takes to reach them. By “sacrifice”, I mean doing something in order to reach your race performance potential when you'd rather be doing something else. Here are some examples:1) Getting your workouts done when you are tired and unmotivated and would rather go out with your friends or watch TV.2) Taking care of your nutrition when everyone around you is eating nachos and ice cream.3) Staying in your specified HR zones when on a group ride where everyone else is hammering.4) Not racing when everyone else is racing in order to meet a longer term goal and foster long term progress.5) Going to bed early when you'd rather watch TV or read at night.6) Going out on a long ride when you'd rather be home with your family.

http://www.xtri.com/features_display.aspx?riIDReport=5956&CAT=23&xref=xx

Food for thought uh, it should come with a disclaimer though. Somthing like, "Does not necessarily improve/balance one's life" only looks at improving performance. What are you guys willing to give up for performance? and what are you not?

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to add, I got a aero helmet finally. Bought it off ebay for a good price, the brand I wanted to get. It's a Rudy Project, zoom zoom!!

2 comments:

Julie said...

That Saskatoon place looks so cool! I've toyed with the idea of getting into gardening...Key word is "toyed." Hahahaha! I get my fill of gardening work by mowing the lawn, picking up those damn crab apples, (Three bears in neighbour's trees last night by the way; conservation guys were firing off their bear bangers like it was the fourth of July) and last but not least picking up dog poop. LOL!!

As for sacrifices to make -- I don't look at it like things I have to give up. Rather I see the things I need to do in order to achieve my goals...

:) :) :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

Gardening???That is soooo cool,I thought that I was the only guy into that!!!We had about 15 lbs of peppers & tomatoes & potatoes this year,as well as fresh beets,lettuces all summer long.We also have 2 apple trees in the back with about 100 apples this year.Nothing like Organic dawes produce.
I will post some pics on the blog tonight.enjoy the down time,Cam.