Friday, February 19, 2010

Solid tt this morning

Greg and I met at 6am. Man it never seems to get easier eh, jumping into the cold water when the only thing you really want to do is curl up under a warm blanket and sleep!!! Oh well, it helps when you know you can't call early and cancel, somthing about pride and not wanting to be the wuss.

So we jumped in a lil late actually 6:15 and started off with a longer set of 50s, half involving paddles, then it was onto the TT. Yayyyy, I was really nervous, well not super nervous, I just didn't want to blow it. Using the paddles before the tt had me a bit worried too, would my shoulders be beat? Oh well Chuckie must know what he's doing so I trusted that it would go well. I let Greg go first and waited till he got to the opposite end and then I started. That way we could still push each other, yet no drafting for me(I love to draft!!). I started out really relaxed and my arms actually felt ok, tired but ok. I was surprised, Greg and I were keeping for the most part dead even. It was a lil fun cat and mouse game. I had started out just before he hit the wall at 25m so every lap I'd try and get to my wall before he got to his so I knew I was keeping pace. Chuckie wanted the 500m split so at 20 laps I stopped to hit the button, damn that is really hard to hit the lap button on a watch in the middle of a timed swim when you're trying to match someone who's generally a touch faster than you are. I lost a bit there and at one point reaching the wall and turning Greg turned at the exact same time. Arughhh better try to pick it up, so I tried to push a bit harder and managed to get my advantage back just a bit. So we see sawed back and forth, at the end he came in 5 seconds ahead of me. My splits were dead even though at 8:32-500m, 17:05 for the 1k. Not too bad, but I was secretly hoping I'd go a touch faster. This swimming stuff is tough work!!

6 comments:

Keith said...

There is nothing in the world wrong with a 17:05!!!

Julie said...

Awesome swim Darryl! It's amazing how much it helps to have someone push you while swimming eh? :) :)

Anonymous said...

Solid TT time!!!You should be pleased.Have a good weekend,Cam.

Anonymous said...

awesome session my man...good job!

Dano said...

Strong work Darryl! I know those 6am swims will pay off for you!

Jenna said...

Ug - 6 am. cold. wanting the comfort of quilt and pillow. And here ya pulled off a great TT. well done!!