Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Burnt a few matches yesterday

Had a really good run yesterday.  But it was also a good reminder that I'm not there yet, ha ha.  Sometimes when you start to feel good you deceive yourself into thinking I'm not that out of shape.  Start to pick up the pace, check the watch on the last mile, think to yourself, hmmm I"m not feeling too bad lets pick it up some more.  Hee hee so yesterday I kept doing that first mile 7:51, then 7:31, then 7:32(with a pretty big hill), 7:16, 7:13(on lots of gravel with big stones).  Shortly after the last one it all of a sudden hit me like a fricken freight train.  I'M TIRED!!!  LOL  So I jogged and eventually walked the last .75 miles home.  It was nice weather and honestly walking in a training run doesn't bother me as much as it used to.  I guess I don't need to feed the ego as much.  I know what I'm capable and don't need to prove it.  If I was on a specific schedule I would have sucked it up and kept running.  But now when I'm just out to get in shape, I find I like stopping ever so often to walk, you get to soak up the soroundings so much more.  I'm betting Cam agrees, after all if you enjoy it more, appreciate nature, the animals, etc, you're more apt to head out the door tomorrow right?  I stop for animals too, at least a few seconds, long enough to say hi.  My two cents fwiw...

DP

3 comments:

Keith said...

I think it's important to keep the training fun when you can. If that means walking every now and then to enjoy the scenery, or to give yourselves a bit of a break, that's fine. To often people get buckled into a "must do workout by the book" until an injury stops them.

Anonymous said...

Well said Keith!
D,I do walk on some hills & I used to feel guilty about this as well.I have cranked out 3 hour marathon runs everyweek for a month & I find that I tend to get burned out doing that now(dumbass)
But live & learn.Thanks for the trainer workouts!Look at my last blog comment on my blog.Cam.

runningman said...

Yes and No, it depends on the workout. Some are designed to train your mind just as much as your body. So if you train your mind that you have a way out when ever you need it(ie. walking) then you might use that in a race? As far as getting injured, I don't know about you, I speak for myself. I don't get injured in the last part of a workout. The injury will have happened from heading out the door when I should have been resting. Or doing too much in a week for a faster build up. So that last .5 miles that I walked(using yesterday as an example) isn't going to push me over as far as an injury goes. Yesterday, I walked, simply because the workout is all about getting fit, no other purpose there. As I get more serious about a race or goal I'll again run through what ever negative thoughts I have, as Chuckie said to me in a note "SLAY THOSE NASTY DEMONS!!" muah ha ha

Notice how I can argue both sides Keith? lol