Monday, May 5, 2008

My poor crotch is sore

Hey,

We finally got some great weather for a great couple of rides. On saturday Curtis and I had planned on meeting to head out on glenmore trail I think it turns into the #8. There was a slight hicup though. While I was adjusting my brakes I managed to strip the one screw or bolt(what ever you call it if it's an allen key needed) so I had to make a quick trip to Speed theory to get it fixed. They weren't busy at the time so ummmm I always forget his name. Not Greg(obviously) but the running guy, anyways he helped me fix the brake and I zipped over to Curtis's to get this Cervelo show on the road(we both ride cervelos).

We took his van since we could get both bikes in there, drove out to a residential area just off of sarcey and super close to Glenmore trail. The wind was absolutely PERFECT, it was a north wind so we got basically no head wind at all and the side wind was hardly noticeble. Mother Nature has been super nice to me this year, I can't remember a longer ride where I've had a bad wind. Weird cause last year all of my longer rides involved winds in the 40-50km ph.

Anyways we headed out, Curtis is a lil apprehensive as this is the first time outside on the TT bike, and he doesn't have much time outside on any type of road bike actually. So you can imagine the downhills were a little scary for him. But practice makes perfect and he was quite happy with how he progressed. He said later it was quite different, by the end of the ride he was a lot more relaxed descending. I joked with him that we'll have to drive him to the top of a hill over and over since he's a good climber but he still needs more confidence with the descending.

The first hour to Bragg creek went by pretty uneventful, the weather was perfect and no major mishaps other then Curtis almost hitting the ditch while wiping his nose. Maybe he needs some snot rocket lessons as well. ;) One thing I need to do is get another cage on my bike, I think Curtis would agree one just really sucks. With all the other stuff you have to carry along on long rides the extra water bottle having to go in the jersey pockets really sucks. Anyways we kept going into the low mountains up and down the hills. Curtis still quite tentative on the downhills but it's ok, I wouldn't want him to let loose untill he's confident enough to do so. Gotta ride with in your own limits. We kept the pace fairly easy, although that's really hard to do with climbs and other cyclists to chase down. Ok I admit I have a thing for chasing riders down, I'm sure others do too. We made it to Elbow falls and fyi the road is still closed, till May long weekend if anyone wants to drive out there and ride the open highway. We didn't stop long here since we had got the 2 hour mark and headed back.

At Bragg creek we made another lil pitstop where one roadie wanted to purchase one of my spares. Not sure why anyone would ride to Bragg creek with no spares/tools. Oh well everyone makes mistakes, hopefully he will know for next time. When I got out my older spare I realized that it was kaput, the valve had popped out and was useless leaving me with only one spare between the two of us. So I was quite reluctant to give him our last spare. He was ok with that and proceeded to ride all the way to calgary on a flat in the back. He actually made good time too, must have been a good rider.

So we kept going and with about 2-3 k left to go Curtis double flatted. I only had one spare(he will be getting some of his own stuff for the next ride, right Curtis?? :)) The pavement was really smooth here so I suggested we just roll in. It was a good cooldown finish(ya right like 5km ph :P). So that made it a lil longer but w/e I just marked it as a 4 hour ride. Greg had only wanted 3-3.5 but I didn't know he sent it the night before so I missed that and rode extra. OOOPS Sorry IG.

So yesterday I went out and the wind was actually at 0 km ph. What a day for a ride. The schedule called for 2 hours at an easy pace. So I kept the effort down, no hr monitor though I rode on PE. At the 1 hour mark I was close to Strathmore so I decided to finish it up. Sorry Greg, I rode a lil extra sunday too. But I felt sooo good except for my raw crotchal area, but that doesn't count. Such a good feeling, I was aerobic and did the 45km part in 1:15, low effort and fyi that's 5 hour Ironman pace!!!! I don't want to get too excited, there was no wind, but hey I have lots of time. I have a really good feeling about my Ironman bike for this year. :) Coming back was a touch slower as my crotch was burning and raw so I had to sit up a bit, I took the time to enjoy the sunshine. That was 2:40

So with the new bike that's 3 rides 270km. One more ride today and I can take a much needed cycling break. I'm looking forward to my first run tomorrow. woooooooooooo my calf is like 90% maybe better. Oh and those 3 rides were all on my new TT bike. Hows that for breaking her in. I'm feeling soooo fit on the bike, I love it.

Oh I need to figure out exactly what effort the MAP intervals effort should be at. If any of you know, could you explain it for me? Greg hasn't emailed me back yet. The workout is 2x 5x 2min on 2 min off.

Sounds like you guys all had great weekends as well. Curtis(my workout buddy and fellow IMC racer) is getting really fit and felt great after our long ride on saturday. Hopefully he can do a bunch more with me and he should be ready to rock for IMC. Good job Curtis, keep it up. :) Cheers,

Darryl

12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

Nice start with the new wheels! Sunshine and no wind...can't ask for much more than that!

runningman said...

oh Cam you're so negative. Find somthing else to complain about, we've covered this already.

Iron Greg said...

Great weekend Darryl!!
No problems with the little extra distance, I would have been out there too if I wasn't working all weekend :(
Just stick closer to the plan from now on though... LOL!!! ;)

Chad Geiger said...

270 km???? You Iron folk are a strange breed. No wonder your crotch hurts! I biked 40 km and it felt like forever!!!!! WOW! You Ironmen are a amazing, it's too bad people don't appreciate the sport more and it doesn't get more publicity. We'll have to go for a ride sometime, not 270 km though!!! See you at the gym!

Chad

Susi said...

first off, i almost spit my orange out when i guffawed loudly over your title - friggin hilarious!!

awesome biking weekend dude! glad you love the cervelo - who wouldn't tho, it's a brilliant bike. uh, sorry about your crotch?! LOL.

don't fret too much over biking a wee bit more, greg doesn't mind that much. tee hee.

for curtis: snot rocket instruction can be found at http://sbrgyrl.blogspot.com/2007/06/hvem.html

MAPS = zone 4 intervals. basically, pedal till you want to puke for two minutes, then pedal easy two minutes (till the puke feeling leaves), then continue. :) ENJOY!

Julie said...

Great riding!! That pain is hard won and you should be proud!! LOL!!

My philospophy of bike boogers is thus: There are two types of riders in the world -- blowers and wipers. You fit solidly into one camp or the other. While a blower can also wipe, a wiper can blow but will ALWAYS have to wipe.

I've tried to blow snot rockets and I just can't do it. I don't if it is my mucous configuration or what -- the stuff just doesn't want to leave my nose. I am always left with a big mess all over my face -- like a snotty-faced kid in kindergarten!! LOL!! Therefore,I don't even try anymore -- I wipe. On anything. My jersey, my bare arm, even the back of my hand.

LOL!!!! :) :):) :)

runningman said...

LOL you guys are the hilarious ones. My blogs could never ever match yours. I can't count how many times I've laughed out loud reading them.

Susi said...

oooh, that reminds me, i had an awesome snot rocket on sunday. like a 3 incher. just after i did it i hear this, 'how's it going?' as this dude rides by. bad susi - such poor bike ettiquette!! i swear though, had i known he was behind me i never would have done it! LOL.

Anonymous said...

not negative,just trying to help ya out!!!i wont say another word.

Keith said...

holy crap, 3 rides 270 K and on a brand new bike! What a great break in weekend for you. You're going to rock and roll when it comes to race day.

CurtisV said...

Thanks for the snot rocket instructions Susi! As a rookie rider I had no idea I was so full of snot! I only wish I could run as fast as my nose does. I really enjoyed the long ride D. You made it look easy and are looking strong for IMC. Get lots of rest and eat healthy to soak up the benefits of all those miles!

Later,
Aquaman