Sunday, May 11, 2008

training summary for the weekend









Hey all,
Here's some pics I took with my phone camera on our long ride this weekend. We(Curtis and I) went out sat. from Glenmore trail again, headed west. Took the turn to go towards Cochrane, up the hill, back into calgary, back out the trans can from COP. Then back in via Glenomre trail again. It went fairly well, Curtis and I both agree though that that Cochrane hill took more out of us then we tought. Then going out on the trans can against wind and up the hills(it seems most of it is uphill all the way to the gas station). Curtis and I were both a bit shelled comin in to the gas station, but somthing to eat and a full throttle energy drink and we're both new men. I kept to my IG work out, doing 4/8 intervals even though it was tough on the hills. That's 4 min lower z2, then 8 upper z2, when you hit a hill in the middle of a 8 min interval somtimes it's tough to know if you should keep the hr target or just climb the hill and continue the time at the top. Or if you hit a hill in the middle of a lower z2 part it's really hard to keep the hr that low while climbing. I managed however and did as best as I could, I'm already seeing that my Ironman heart rate will be somewhere between these two efforts. Oh btw the riding time was 4:06 I think for 120km.
##################################################################
Today's swim/run went well too. I was quite leary/paranoid about doing the required hour work out with some upper z2 intervals, but I figured if I had any doubts going into them I could always bail. Anyways the swim went ok, I basically go through the motions, I never have as much motivation to swim as I do in winter. It seems the outdoor riding/running steals the show. Did kind of a ladder workout 8x25,4x50,2x100,4x50,8x25. My google strap ripped close to the start of the workout, so for part of it I was basically swimming blind cause I didn't want to pull my goggles off to wipe off the fog. lol I was hoping no stray swimmers would come into my lane cause I wouldn't be able to see them. Where's my swimming eye dog when I need one?? I had to do a 500m timed swim, I wasn't feeling that smooth but w/e I gotter done. The time was 8:20. I calculated it and got the actual 500meters done in my yards pool. I had to do an extra 2 laps.
##################################################################
I got changed and went outside for my run. Did the first 30 min warmup and even had to walk a part of a hill since my heart rate would NOT stay down. I always have this problem when I just come out of a swim, I'm not sure what it is my asthma? I do a two loop course at the pool which usually gives me an hour, so the first loop was my warm up. Each loop involves a big hill. So eventually after my warm up the heart rate got steady and I could start my first 6 min. hard effort (upper z2) wow it felt good to finally let the legs RUNNNNNN and my calf didn't complain at all. When I hit the second 6 min interval I hit the hill on the second loop. My heart rate went quite a bit higher but I wanted to keep the leg turn over and kinda test the calf(and it came through with flying colors) so I hammered up the hill and finished the lap with some easy running. When I got home I of course stretched out the calf and iced it as I've been doing religously the last couple weeks. I'm happy to say it still feels fine, no ill effects from the hard run. I wouldn't say it's quite 100% I can somtimes feel a tad bit of stiffness, but I know it's ready to be strengthened as long as I baby it between runs. :P
###################################################################
Wooooo the Penticton trip is coming up quick. I'm looking forward to the awsome training we'll be doing. Looks like it will be hot hot hot out there so I'll be bringing the infinit along to stay fueled/hydrated. :) Cheers all, hope you had a good weekend and a good race,
#
Darryl
#
PS: Stupid blogger won't accept my spaces between so I have to improvise with some of my own spacers.

4 comments:

Susi said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I suck at the whole mapmyride so will just draw out my routes for you when we are in Penticton. I wouldn't have seen you on Saturday as I didn't hit the hill, but the braids were flying on Sunday down the hill!! LOL.

Oh, as a fellow asthma-ite...there is a theory about asthma being triggered or bothered in chlorinated pools. This is because chlorine is heavier than air so hovers on the pool surface, which is, of course, where we take our breath. Also, it does take time for the body to get the blood all distributed etc when you go from being horizontal for a long time, to vertical.

In racing, IG always has me take it easy right out of the pool till my HR goes down. I didn't believe my HR was that high when I got out of the water, till I actually looked at my monitor one day. I was like, whoa! alrighty then my HR does skyrocket out of the water!!!

See ya Friday!

Julie said...

Fantastic ride!! Way to churn out all those workouts too. It is so awesome to hear your calf is improving -- keep doing whatever it is you are doing. Your body is liking it!

I'm heading to Penticton on Thursday -- can't wait to finally meet the gang! :) :) :)

Jenna said...

Have fun at the training camp!! And tell me all the stories when you come back!! Glad your calf is feeling better :) I also have asthma and was on a puffer when I raced years ago in the pool. when I strated back at it, I needed it again. Sometimes I take a puff before swimming and a puff when i exit the pool to keep the coughing at bay.

kelsey said...

I double your problems getting into the water. Though it sounds like your went WAY better then mine! I tend to wuss out and get bored too quickly! Yeah for Penticton!!!