Thursday, January 13, 2011

Are you getting tired of the dreadmill?

Here's a workout to spice up your running boredom! Not that treadmill running is that difficult for me, but I am kinda getting tired of the same pace for varied distances. Sooooo I figured I'd pick it up a bit, here's what I did.

8 miles
-Start out with a easy mile, not sand bagging easy, but comfortable.
-Then for the next mile crank it up 1mph, or 1 min per mile(it's pretty much the same thing.
-This harder mile should not be very hard, like a touch slower than your half marathon pace. But by the fourth you'll start to feel some fatigue, but not too much
-repeat this as often as you like, I did it 4X tonight, it's not quite speed work(it's slower than I'd normally do my tempos), but doing some kind of intervals like that breaks up the workout and adds a little spice to a otherwise dull dreadmill run. At least I thought it was fun, try it! The treadmill doesn't have to be a cop out workout. A major benefit of the treadmill is it's specifity. You can do workouts on it that you couldn't manage outside, intervals, hills, etc. May as well use it to our advantage while the weather forces us to. :)

4 comments:

Keith said...

I am not tired of the treadmill. One can't be tired of what doesn't happen.

Anonymous said...

I am not tired of the either,but I can appreciate the workout due to the boredom factor of the tm.especially when you run on a regular basis on it.
Nice picture,Kelowna?you should grow the burns back for the death race!!!

i am Susan said...

I Love my treadmill. Actually I love that I can catch up on all my PVR'd shows while working out.

We are a five minute walk from the pathway were teh Frozen Ass goes. We can for sure come cheer you on with our clappers and cow bells. What time does the race start at?

runningman said...

The website says 9am. We'll see when it gets closer, they may update it. It's strange cause they actually have it on the family day Monday. You don't see races too often on stat holidays.