Thursday, April 7, 2011

Intervals

Aloha!

Had a good run yesterday, although slow, but I was able to do all of the intervals so hopefully Cam won't make fun of me. lol I had a med/long run scheduled for yesterday, but sometimes you gotta make adjustments because life gets in the way of your training program. I didn't have 2 hours to do the longish run because Lisa and I had tickets to the Flames game. So I looked at the schedule and figured since I have a rest/easy day tomorrow(which is today) I could add a shorter but fast workout. Friday I have a tempo so with the easy thursday run wednesday would be perfect for some intervals. Yayyyyy, not a bad day for weather so I ran to the park and did 4x pond loop. I found out later that the loop is 0.75 mile. So I did approx 4x1200 with 90 second walking rest between. I started off with the first two pretty conservative in just over 5min and then just under. Then for the last two I was able to cut off a bit more time. I basically descended the times all the way through. Later looking at the times it was a bit disappointing as I should be doing them at my 5k race pace, but more importantly I wanted to do them all and finish strong so I accomplished that. Just goes to show how little speed I have though. Looking at the schedule it does show me plenty of intervals coming up in the next phase so that should def. help.

There was a pretty good runner I noticed doing a tempo on the pond loop, he was faster in his tempo than I was in my intervals. We happened to finish at the same time so I chatted with him as we did a cool down lap. Turns out he's training for the Police half and eventually the Chicago marathon. It was nice meeting someone new, although it sounds like he just works in the area and that's why he drops in at the park on his way home to get his run in. I failed to get his email address so maybe we could run together in the future. Oh well, I should see him again this summer. Cheers,

DP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job on the intervals!!! You are right, it is not how fast you run them, but how many you can string together comfortably.