Wednesday, June 6, 2007

2 weeks till I leave for CDA

Weird how you get hit with more and more reality. The big truth here is that in 2 weeks I will leave for CDA and complete the biggest race of my life!!! I know ironman is for anyone these days, plenty of people finish them all the time and it's really not that big a deal for lots of people. But, for me it is a big deal. You see I've followed this event ever since it was a novelty. Ever since I was probably a young teen, which puts Ironman in it's early years, have I watched this race. Wondering perhaps I could some day toe the line and see if I have "what it takes" to complete this grueling distance. I've completed 7 marathons, a bunch of half marathons and even more road races and triathlons, never having completed the 2.4/112/26.2 mile event. Somtimes I get overwhelmed and feel like I should not do it. There's too much pressure, what if I get kicked, or flat, or go out too hard on the bike and end up walking the run. What if the weather is really bad, hot or windy. What if I get sick the week before, will I know when to call it quits? Have I done ALL I can to be the very best I can be??? Oh sure my training buddies will pipe up and say stuff like, "Dude, you're in awsome shape!!" or "Don't let these thoughts get into your head, think positive!!" But honestly do they know what will happen on June 24th? I think not!!! We can only hope and dream that everything will fall into place. That the training that has been done is adequate and that there are no injuries, illnesses, or mechanical problems to prevent me from doing my best. It's not like I'm that negative, almost every run I do alone I dream about running the last 10k and feeling good, finishing strong. I don't know if that's possible to actually feel good in the last 10k, but I dream about it anyways.

I have to remind myself that worrying about what I can't control is pointless. That doesn't mean I won't think about it, just won't worry, there's a difference. The things I can control are things like nutrition, I haven't got this sorted out yet.

1. How am I going to get enough calories on the bike, and what am I all putting in my special needs bags.

2. What am I wearing, haven't figured that out yet either. Tri singlets make me look fat, but I probably will wear one, if I can find one that fits ok.

3. I need to make sure my bike is ready, I'll need to clean it again just before the race.

4. One thing I thought of today is blue cross, what if I have a medical emergency. I don't want to "worry" about it, but I should be prepared.

5. As the departure arrives I have to make sure I pack everything I'll need, and also plan my pre race meal. I don't know really what I'm eating the day before as well as the morning of.

6. I think I'll be needing a new pair of shoes. However race day is approaching and I don't have time to fight around with a pair that don't fit me right. I need a pair that I like right out of the box and that I know from past experience work well with my feet after 100 miles of training.

I'm sure I've forgotten some things for now, but I have two weeks to come up with them. These are just a couple things I was thinking about lately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

suck it up & get yer sh?$%&&&&T together now!!!!
1-Calories from infinit!
2-You are NOT fat!!!Wear something that is comfortable.
3-Clean the bike.
4-Be prepared medically.
5-Write a list & pack,then double check everything.You can get anything you need there so dont fret.You seem to ride well on toast & peanut butter.
6-Buy new shoes & wear them or run in them everyday until ironman & they will be fine,or just save the wear and tear on your current shoes & wear them for the race.

I dont know what will happen on The 24,BUT I do know that you are ready!!!Don't mess up your taper or your head,Keep it together man,we are almost there,& YOU ARE DEFINATLY READY!!!!!Print this & tape it to your fridge until race day!!!Later cam.