Thursday, June 14, 2007

Random thoughts

Shave or not to shave:

Do I shave my legs or don't I? That is the question. I really don't see a use for it, swimmers shave for speed gliding through the water as well as feel for the water. Cyclists shave their legs in case of a crash and to aid in road rash bandaging. Both of these things aren't really an issue for a ironman triathlete. Especially one who is doing his first. Although I'm still not convinced, I may simply do it just to fit in. Or as a buddy said when I asked him for some insight on the subject, "The chicks dig it".

A quote I like from the founder of the ironman John Collins:

"You get to find out in a non-lethal way what you're made of, and what your friends are made of. You get put into a position where you have to make a choice of either going on, or not going on. You can make the decision either way and convince everyone except the right back part of your brain that you have a good reason to quit. If you decide to go on, you win, if you stop, you loose...."

10 days and counting till the cannon goes off. Yesterdays run with Curtis was nice and cool. We did an easy loop around the res. My calves were a bit sore, but I'm pretty sure that was from my massage therapist digging into my knots. She found plenty again yesterday and again I was nearly crying at times on the table. The good news is that all of the spots that she dug into on monday were 100%, so she's straightening them out. I promised I'd mention her name at the awards banquet if I won the race. ha ha

Cheers

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do it! If you're a hairy beast, first get yourself some clippers and trim that overgrown thicket down to its root. Then take a hot bath with a nice gentle women's razor.

But don't bother shaving what cant be seen! It may look...and feel...nice, but is definately not worth the razor burn!

Actually... none of it's worth the razor burn. Maybe you should just retain your manhood while you still have it.

Anonymous said...

The legs are one thing,BUt what about those crazy Wolverine sideburns????Coming along nicely???They will be encrusted with salt after the race!!!!If you have never shaved,get on it.Dont shave the night or two before the race.