Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Golden trip

I believe you can see kicking horse ski hill.

Cam and Guy just off the trans can and onto the first big climb.

Cam and I climbing side by side. Yes I took the pic while riding, but don't worry there were hardly any cars on this road.


Up the road back to Golden.

Hey there,
Sorry this took awhile to come. I don't know why but I'm not as pumped to write in the blog anymore. :P Plus I had the pictures on my camera/phone which were to big to send wirelessly so I had to wait till I had a minute at home to do it.

Calf muscle pull:
I was a bit leary to train with my sore calf muscle since my long run as I seemed to have pulled it then. Well I took friday off completely, as well as saturday(travel day) I just swam before I started the drive to Golden. I'm happy to say this helped immensly as I trained this weekend with out any pain at all, it was gone. I also have Lisa's hands to thank as she massaged the calf a little on Friday. Either way I am 100% and can now officially start the Ironman taper.

Trip:
The trip went awsome!! I couldn't have asked for a better weekend, nor a better venue. I got there Friday night and was treated to a nice pasta dinner that Cam had created. He's a good cook and of course we talked and talked till it was time to hit the hay. The next day we got our nutrition ready, infinit/gels and hit the road. It was a hot one, but not too windy. We started out on the trans can. highway, about 20k + out and then cut off on a gravelly VERY hilly return trip. There was lots of climbing in this section as this basically led us up and out of the Golden valley. At the top of the hill we'd stop at the tourism rest stop and water up. That was about a 40km loop. Our riding partner Guy was a bit back so this gave him a chance to catch up and for us all to rest up for the next lap. After this stop we got back on the trans can. and headed down a big hill back into town which started our second loop. We did 3 laps total. Each lap got consistently hotter and the hills seemed to get bigger. Not sure why that is, it just happens in long rides. We rode back into town, up a really STEEP hill to Cam's house and then we went out for a 8km run in the heat. The run was great and took us through lots of the town through paths and sidewalks. I don't remember much of the actual route as I just followed Cam's lead. I guess I was a bit out of it, but still in good spirits and not hurting too too badly. Guy didn't join us for our run but decided to run on his own after a double latte and somthing else I can't remember.

Reflection:
The day was awsome and when we got back we found out it was 35 degrees!!! I was stoked as this was the one element that I didn't know if I could handle if CDA threw at us. Now I knew I was ready, or at least ready as I'll ever be. Maybe next weekend it'll be hot again so we can get some more heat training in. I'm so lucky to be able to train with others. It was awsome to ride with Cam the last weekend. Cam thank you so much for your hospitality and for the training! It was really scenic as well which leads me to the pictures. Cam is used to his awsome suroundings but I had to get a couple pics at least for the blog. As you can see they're posted at the start not at the end. This blog thing doesn't always do what I want. Over and out,
Darryl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi D,Yes I too had a good time,as we will in CDA!!!!Call me later in the week.It is supposed to be +8 with rain here in Golden this weekend,so i may just run long instead of riding if the weather is bad.Call me anyways,we could run instead???Great Golden report.I enjoyed the read & I hawked a couple of pics from it for mine & to email to G.Later,Cam.