Friday, June 1, 2007

Sore calf muscle

Hey,

Well looks like I'm going to have to peak a little earlier then expected. I was doing some good mileage on the bike this week and my calves were already starting to feel it down on the bars. So yesterday I went out for the long run with Curtis and my right calf muscle pulled or somthing. Good thing it was right at the end so I could stop immediately and not have to walk a long ways back. It doesn't feel too bad walking and I can even stretch it a bit with out pain, but I just don't want to take the chance of getting an injury. Sooo I'll take today completely off, then maybe go for a easy ride/swim tomorrow depending how it feels. I should still be able to ride with Cam on Sunday but I'll definatly be playing it by ear. If I feel anything on the run after the bike I'll pack it in. It's not all bad as the bulk of the training is in, all I really have to do is make sure it heals up and I should be ready. If anything this could force me into tapering properly before the ironman. Another good thing is that this was just an overuse twinge, cause I felt both calves were super sore towards the end of the run. Most injuries are due to a imperfection or imbalancing of somthing in the stride, however in this case both calves were sore, either one could have gone. (sorry for the bad english) Maybe a couple massages are what I need as well. So maybe what I'll do is take a couple easy days, do the long ride/run(if I can run with out pain) and the following two weeks get a couple massages. Like I said earlier all I have to do is maintain and heal up.

Oh, I almost forgot. Somthing that was kind of cool last night while running with Curtis. We had a pretty close encounter with a beaver. I was quite surprised this fat guy was out of water and not in any rush to get away from us. Obviously he is used to having humans around and thought a couple skinny runners won't bother him. He was right beside the path and only after we ran past did he slowly waddle off to the lake and swim away with not a care in the world. I just hope he wasn't hurt.

No comments: