Thursday, November 11, 2010

I learned something new today

I have this calender thing at work, where you have to tear off a paper each day.  It's a stack of days basically, 365 days that is, one for each day.  Each paper has a picture, well most do and they often have 2-3 in a row telling facts about a certain animal, land form, etc.  The last few have been about tall/big trees.  Today's had no image but told me that the largest living thing in the world is a tree!  Go figure, I'm not surprised about this really, but when they named the tree I just had to google it to see it for myself.  I knew it would be big, but man this still blew my mind when I saw it.  It is named General Sherman after some General in the war.  I found it hilarious that when you google that, the tree wiki page comes ahead of the actual civil war General.  Some other interesting facts are that it is believed to be between 2300 - 2700 years old, 275 ft tall.  Google it, very interesting.

Oh yeah, also had a pretty good run yesterday.  Ran a hard 5k in 21:09.  Not too bad, did the same route in summer just after IM in 19:40 somthing so I've lost a bit, but it felt good to letter rip.  And I actually finished this hard run, the last two times I tried some intervals I couldn't do as many as I had planned.  Getting mentally stronger, which is nice to see.  Curtis and I will run Sat. morning again, we did our first long one in a while last weekend.  We need to keep this weekly long one up as it not only provides a decent long run, but also motivates us both for the coming week.  Cheers all, happy running,

DP

PS:  The second pic is that of the biggest branch that broke off of General Sherman in 2006, yes that's right it's the freakin branch!!!


2 comments:

chaco said...

wooow...Super great tree...Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the hiatus on the blog,especially after the posting marathon I just did a couple of weeks ago.