Sunday, November 14, 2010

Tips for getting your man into dance lessons(it worked on me, it could work on anyone)

This may not be a simple task. 

1. Keep at it.  I'm gonna let you in on a little secret about men, if you don't already know it.  Even though they may "seem" totally against it, they might actually want to, or at least not be as against it as they may show on the first request/attempt.  Remember some of us think or think others will think less manly of us for signing up.

2. Ask multiple times.  This may not at first fit into our schedules, and in some cases the man will use anything and everything as an excuse as to why we may not have time.  So plan ahead, get creative, use your head!!  Say your man happens to be a triathlete and is preparing for the big event of the year.  Think to yourself, hmmm he's gonna need some downtime, recovery.  He won't be training as much after the event.

3. Find a inexpensive opportunity.  This will help thwart the excuse, "oh but honey, it's wayy too expensive".  Maybe offer to pay for it?!?!?!  Or just look for a cheap lesson.

4. Something convenient.  If you have a community centre check to see if they have lessons, or might somtime in the future.  Walking distance is perfect

5. Focus on having fun.  Don't put too much pressure on the man, especially if he's like me and is totally un-coordinated.  Go figure, who knew you could get to the finish of a IM with two left feet??  Another secret about us men.  We ultimately want to please our mates, so if you show how much this will please you and how it's about hangin out and doing something fun together.  Maybe give him a little something to look forward to after the lesson,  ha ha j/k

6. If he's super duper embarrassed about taking the lessons, don't put it on your facebook or blog.  Help him keep it discreet.  Lisa if you're reading this, in my case I don't mind having random girls ask me about how the lessons are going.  I just figured other men might not be cool with that, I'm fine though.  I probably wouldn't have blogged about it if I didn't want people knowing.

That's all I can think of for now.  There ya go Julie, some tips for you and Mike.  They worked on me, and trust me I was the last person I thought would be taking them.  CHeers,

DP 

5 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for the tips, Darryl!!

Since you have been so candid about what goes on in a man's head, let me ask you another question....

Do the same rules apply for say....anything? LOL -- Like say trying to get a guy to clean the toilet? LMAO!!!

Seriously, I think my plan is to get me and Mike to go to a yoga class together. I am going to keep coming back to this page to remind me of what to do....

A guidebook. :)

I'll keep you updated! And personally, I think that men who are open and honest are truly manly. Not what other people think of them -- it takes a man to stand up and do what other men are afraid of doing!! :) :)

Anonymous said...

I would take dance lessons & I would need to have dance lessons(like you)!!!
That is a good perspective on the man's view.Coming from my man point of view as well,lol
Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of days,I am going to get the true story from Lisa on this dancing lesson thing.Cam

Keith said...

The best argument for getting a guy to go to dance lessons, especially ballroom dance lessons, involves knowing that the instructor will ask people to change partners. Often. Where else is a guy going to get the chance to legitimately get his arms around random girls? To reassure the wives/girlfriends, once a guy learns to dance he will not be slavering after the cute girls. No. He'll want to dance with the ones that know how to dace.

And guys, you want to change partners often, especially when you're learning. That way you don't go home with the person you're mad at. You get to talk to the person you're going home with about the OTHER clutzes. Trust me. Voice of experience talking here.

Can't help you with getting a guy to clean the toilet. Some things the MMSS stays tight on.

runningman said...

Sorry Julie I doubt it, I don't even clean em myself. That's the one thing I won't do. Course there's things Lisa won't do either, we're both content to stick with our chores.

Keith, weird our instructor doesn't have us switch partners. He jumps in himself lots, but that's mostly to demonstrate and he has no partner himself.

See you Wednesday Cam. Drive safe, hope the weather is ok for that.

i am Susan said...

I think that is cool that you are taking dance lesson. Despite all your tips I could never get trevor doing the Waltz or some organized dance...for him the sillier the better on the dance floor.

We are having a Housewarming Party on December 11th from 3-7 (open house) and you guys are welcome to come...will email the invite this weekend...hopefully you are availble to come.