Thursday, November 25, 2010

Some more sking notes

I forgot to mention a few things on yesterday's post.  I really notice the soreness in my muscles, especially after my first two skis, and then again immediately following yesterday's ski.  Just like cycling, it seems that the quad gets the most work.  I guess it's very similar to the cycling push down on the pedals, with sking it's pushing off the ground.  Although so far my hips, lower back, and overall core muscles are getting a working over too.  But I think that's mostly from the trail cutting(balance needed) and the uneven ground that I sometimes go over which would require more balance as well.

I got a cool head lamp from Mec.  I figured with the sking on uneven unknown terrain and often in areas with no lighting the head lamp would come in handy.  It's got two, well three settings, plus it dims as well on each setting.  So it's quite versatile, and all the brightness I need.

I have one slight problem that I hope will go away.  I don't know what mec's return policy is but my boots get uncomfortable after a while.  When I push off, the boots have to bend a lot just past the toes.  The boot material folds and puts a lot of pressure on my pinky toe.  After awhile my toes really hurt a lot.  I'm not sure if this is just part of breaking in the boot(will it go away??) or should I go back and try on a few more boots to see if I can find somthing more comfortable.  The boot fits perfect, and I like the style, so if I knew it would correct itself as I break it in, I would stick with it.  My foot doesn't blister, it just gets sore.  Sking two days in a row is painful when I start out on the second day, so I'm not sure.  And again, I'm not sure if Mec would take used boots back.  Does anyone know?  It's a shame cause there's no way I could have known this problem with out actually sking with the boots.

DP

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

D,the boots probably have to be broken in.Try different socks.I get a blister on my heel & just weat a thin sock with some duct tape on the heel,seems to be ok for a 2 hour ski.

runningman said...

Hey Cam, I've tried a few dif. pairs of socks, it's not a sock problem. It pinches my foot, by the fold in material.

Anonymous said...

Bodyglide to help soften up the boot seam?

runningman said...

hmmmm maybe

Julie said...

That's too bad about the boots -- I've had the same problem with running shoes. Sigh -- the hundreds of $$$ I've spent on shoes only to find that after a long run, they are no good for me. :(

Good luck with the boots!!