Monday, February 28, 2011

Bad News

Don't think I'll be participating in the death race this coming year. I feel silly for having entered, especially since I won't get any of the money back and one of the reasons I won't race is because of money. 1. Money, I've been putting off some line of credit debt that I need to pay off. If I keep entering races it just doesn't get done, and next year I want to do Ironman and give KQ another go. 2. The hotels are all booked in Grand Cache. I was going to stay in Hinton, but that's 150km away. At first I thought this wouldn't be a big deal, but honestly thinking about finishing at 3-5am and getting out to the hotel after hopefully finding Lisa. 3. I'm still burnt out from cda training and this year was supposed to be a year of recharging so I can do Ironman in 2012. 4. At first it didn't seem like it would take that much training, but after really looking at it, some of my days would be longer than my longest IM training days. Not really fair to Lisa. 5. Don't really have a support crew figured out, and I don't want to ask a friend to do that. It's just too much time, and money committment for them. I think there's probably more reasons, I just thought I should tell my readers.

So this year as of now(I say that because my plans seem to change often) I plan to train hard for the marathon. Do my best, hopefully qualify for Boston(although I doubt I'll actually go do it). Then start my prep(swimming/riding) for Ironman next year. I will start off really slowly so that I can have a good summer involving lots of camping hopefully. That is all,

DP

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the debt issues!!! My race budget is shot,probably a good thing I got this promo at work last year.
Good decision on the death race,maybe we could still get some fall rising in this year???!!!

Dano said...

I think it is a good call Darryl! All the reasons you listed are good ones. The race will be there another year and maybe I could even help you out as a crew member. Glad to hear you talking about IM/Kona again, it is about time ;).

Trevor Oseen said...

Sorry to hear brother, we'll do it together one day...

The Champs said...

Hey, I just stumbled apon your blog. My boyfriend did the death race this past year (he wrote a blog about it on you can check it out here: http://thechampsadventures.blogspot.com/2010/08/after-2010-canadian-death-race.html) and if you can do it it is amazing. I wish I could have done it but i just got out of a cast. For accomodations the majority of people camp. Which seems crazy the night before the race, but with the nerves before races we hardly sleep anyways. They have a camp ground in town and also a tent city set up for 10 bucks a night. We were both students so didn't have alot of money, so we did it pretty economically bringing out own food to cook on the camp stove .. except for the large greasy pizza and beer after the race. I was the only support crew for my boyfriend, and not too much is necessary. Although someone to keep me company would have been nice, since you only see the runner for about 10 minutes at 4 aid stations. And training wise my boyfriend finished in just under 18 hours and claims the training is waaay easier then the ironman training we're into now.. He basically just did an hour after work running hills, trail running, and/or stair climbing, then back to back long runs on the weekends. Anyways, just something to think about, since you have already paid the race fee.