Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Couple solid workouts

Make me feel like a rock star. Yesterday I did a 9 mile run on the tread mill with a 5 mile tempo in the middle. I managed the 5 miles @ 9.1 mph (6:35 min pace) so I was very happy with that, I thought it would be more difficult than it ended up. I had the heart rate monitor on and I was right on target 155bpm(my threshold is pretty low @ 165ish) so that's good.

Then today, it's always a good sign when you recover quickly from a hard run and are ready to go again the next day. Today it was a med/long run 14 miles. I got to run outdoors again. I was a bit wary and anxious to know what my fitness was like outdoors. I've been running so much on the treadmill, I felt good there. But sometimes it doesn't translate too well to outdoor running. I was really happy with the result. The run felt easy, I kept trying to hold back and my pace continued to be too fast for my goal. Managed a 7:38 min average for the 14 miles, about 2.5 miles of it was on slick snowy conditions. So that's very good, I'm pumped!

One minor bummer, I'm still not able to loose much if any weight. Kinda surprising, good but bad, which ever way you look at it. I'm basically where I was last year(running fitness that is), I'm just 15 pounds heavier. Just imagine what I could do if I could get rid of the baggage. Oh well I'm not panicking yet. Yesterday and today were good runs, tomorrow I get a recovery run. One thing Chuckie told me is something like, "Don't ever let one workout define yourself, good or bad" Really good advice and I know what he means, but man progress even in one run sure makes a guy feel good. It also motivates oneself and makes it easier to head out the door tomorrow. Am I right? After all half of our sport or more is mental. 21 miles on the weekend, hopefully the weather will co-operate again. Cheers, all, happy running,

Blast from the past eh Cam? For the rest of you this is obviously in Golden, training for my first Ironman(on my road bike... not that there's anything wrong with that)

DP

PS: You guys are going down, may as well pay up now. hee hee j/k but no really I will crush you!! ok j/k Train hard my friends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

D,I look so thin and ripped!!! I feel like I am about 10 lbs heavy right now, like you feel. I will chalk it up to the winter mesocycle.Be patient the extra weight will come off as we move into the warmer weather.