Monday, August 6, 2012

Catch up!

Hello all,

It's been awhile since I've blogged.  I know I know, same old blog post about how long it's been, blah blah I won't let it happen, I'll try to blog more often.  I won't do that, not sure when I'll blog again.  I'm not saying I won't blog, just not promising anything, that way no disappointment.  If I have any readers still that is. 

So what have I been doing?  Training pretty much consistently for Ironman Canada.  I did one half in July, the Great White North triathlon.  It went pretty well overall.  I had a bit of problems in the water with my breathing, some panicing, bit of a asthma attack?  Then it rained pretty much the whole bike and I was really cold, didn't ride too well.  But I polished it up with my fastest half IM run split ever.  I was pretty pumped to finally go under 90 minutes, 1:28 to be exact.  Also PB'd the half IM too, mainly because of the run split, but hey a PB is a PB.  I was hoping to go a bit faster, but w/e

I log everything on strava.com.  If any of you are using that, let me know what your handles are so I can follow you.  It's been fun to see people's training, routes, comment, etc.  Pretty much like a facebook for athletes.  As well as it's pretty good for a training log.  You can keep some training private if you want, and even keep your start/finish(home) private if you're worried about crazy people.  Strava also has challenges that you can sign up for.  I completed the Rapha challenge which was a bike climbing challenge, which was.... a really big challenge.  You had 8 days to complete as much elevation as the tour riders do on one of their biggest climbing days.  It was NOT easy.  I had to change some of my Ironman workouts to hill reps workouts on various hills in Calgary.  Also took a day off to go climb climb climb on and around Highwood pass.  I completed 6900 meters in 7 days, didn't need the 8th day.

Then strava also had a running challenge last weekend I think.  This one wasn't as tough and there also wasn't as much interest.  It seems most of the people on strava are cyclists, although the running is gaining interest as well.  The challenge was to run 50km over a weekend in 3 days.  Not too bad considering I had to do a 30km+ long run on one of those days anyways.  I think I managed 64km in the 3 days?  The running wasn't so bad, but I put a really hard 100km ride in there with a few cyclist buddies.  They really put the hurt on, and I actually drafted them almost the whole ride desperately trying to hang on.  We averaged 38kmph, these guys are strong!!  I ran after that ride and also did the long run the next day.  I think that was probably the toughest training run I've ever done.  My legs hurt every foot step, it was a struggle the whole way!

So here I am with 3 weeks till Ironman, I've done some good training, somtimes feel like I'm undertrained.  My weight is down which I'm happy about.  My running is def. the most improved!  I do need to go see a doc about this breathing problem while swimming.  I do almost all my swimming now with the pull bouy.  I know most "swimmers" will deem this a pathetic crutch.  But honestly it's do that or not swim at all.  I just can't get enough air.

For Ironman I've decided to go with a wheel cover for my rear wheel.  It's just like a disc except a lot cheaper.  I'm on a tight budget, plus then I can use power during the race.  My power is measured through the hub(Powertap).  I need to buy another tire as I flatted on friday(had to hitch hike home) and cut the tire.  Also found a really cheap non-brand name aero wheel company.  They sell them for about 1/5th the cost of zipp.  So I've ordered my front wheel from them, cross your fingers that it comes on time.  Don't worry they are st approved, lol.  So now I think you are all up-todate.  Those that read still.  Check me out on strava.com.  My contact is darryl penner and let me know what yours is so I can follow you.  Hopefully I'll blog a little more.  Cheers,

DP

3 comments:

Keith said...

I just had to leave a comment so you know you have at least one reader. Sounds like you are more than ready for IM! I'm planning to make a day of watching it, and will be cheering for you.

Strava sounds interesting, but hard core. Like, really HARD CORE. Maybe I should tell Katie about it.

The swim breathing issue sounds weird. Has your neck or shoulders got bigger changing the fit of your wetsuit? You're doing a warmup in the water, right? There is such a thing as stress induced asthma, might want to check it out.

Lisa Ulrich said...

Awesome that you are doing IMC! Sounds like you've done some solid training and you will be ready for a great race! Hopefully your new race wheel arrives in time.

The breathing issue you are experiencing is definitely strange. Keith had some good suggestions above. I can't think what else it could be - maybe stress-induced asthma? Also make sure you are exhaling all your air underwater before taking a breath in, as if you don't empty your lungs you cannot get a proper full breath.

runningman said...

Thanks for the comments both of you. It's just exercise induced, humidity triggers it. It's not stress, at least I wouldn't think I would be stressed for training swims? You don't have to be hard core for strava Keith, but your choice. I have a few friends completely new to training are on it. It's not just for competing, but tracking your training and also a good tool to keep track of your own fastest times over certain courses(you could even keep them private) Anyways thanks to both of you and a friend I talked to today. The overwhelming message seems to be that I AM READY!! I'm sure most of you by now know this has always been my weakness... confidence in myself. I want to toe the line fired up and ready to go!!