Friday, August 24, 2012

Two days an counting

Hey there,

You should see my kitchen floor here.  Everything is layed out so I make sure I don't forget anything and also so I can go over my race plan.  They give you 5 bags to deal with(fill).  One has your morning warmup clothes.  This bag is empty for now and I only fill it once I'm done in transition the day of the race and it's time to get on the wetsuit.  so I strip off my warm clothes and put that in this bag so I can get it back after the race.  Then there is your swim->bike transition bag.  Here we put all the bike accesseries such as helmet, sun glasses, race number(pinned onto a belt) bike shoes.  Half way, well over half way through the bike(120km) there is a special needs station.  Where we get to stash what ever I'd like in a bag that I think I might need at that point of the bike.  I'll stash two bottles, a red bull for a real PICK ME UP, annnd probably that's it.  Then after the bike I got a bag to transition from bike->run.  Here I put my running shoes, hat, and a extra number in case I loose my first one on the bike.  Oh and also new for this year I'm putting a water bottle filled with a really really strong electrolyte/salty solution.  Half way through the run there's also another special needs area where you can put what ever you'd like into a bag.  I'll have another red-bull plus another bottle of the super strong mixed electrolyte/salt.  This bottle is to ward off the muscle cramps later on in the race, I go mostly on race nutrition for the run except these bottles.  That's my 5 bags that I'm organizing.  I gotta drop some of them off already tomorrow with my bike.  Yes my bike gets to sleep the last night under the stars among 3000 other bikes.  You should see the bike racks!!

Earlier on today I got out for a short test ride with my bike once I'd put on my bento box, and taped on the spare tubes, c02's, tire levers, etc.  Everything seems good.  And also went for a 5km jog.  Went to a couple wineries today too!!  Don't worry I didn't consume any  much wine.  Here are the strava ride and runs http://app.strava.com/rides/19614259 http://app.strava.com/runs/19614256

There was a pasta dinner with the race but I decided not to go.  Lisa and I will go out for our own dinner.  Tomorrow night we will have dinner with Cam and Aaron Dawes at our usual pasta factory restaurant.  I think that's what it's called.  It's been 3 years, ha ha.  That reminds me, we're late for our reservations.  Gotta goooooo  see ya!

3 comments:

CurtisV said...

Hey buddy,

Ahhh, the fun of loading up the bags. Way to stay organized. Hope the weather was nice for your run and ride. Get lots of rest and enjoy Penticton with Lisa. I am getting excited and I'm not even there. Although, I feel like I am after reading your blog!

Take care,
Curtis

Anonymous said...

Your bags are pretty much identical to mine! I am gonna cut & paste your post for my blog! Lol

Reinier Paauwe said...

Hey bud, reading your blog posts is getting ME pumped!! Nice to see the daily updates, thanks!