Sunday, August 19, 2012

Test run(ride)

Hey,

I got my bike almost set up for Ironman.  I got my front wheel with the valve extender and a old tire(I'm still waiting for tires in the mail not sure what I'll do if they don't come before wed) on the front.  I managed to get the brake pads on, I'm such a rookie I didn't know brake pads slide in and out for installation.  The rear is my training wheel with a wheel cover from Wheel builder.  I installed that pretty quickly with the help of Reinier's borrowed socket.  There's a youtube from wheel builder describing the best way to install so I just followed that. 

Yesterday I went out with the race wheels.  I drove out to the outskirts of the city as you can tell if you look at the strava ride.  Then rode from there east.  It was perfect conditions to test as we had a south wind at about 28 gusting 39kmph.  So to start the wind was a direct cross wind and out in the country there was no shelter.  I could definitely feel the added pressure on the front wheel.  It's a little deeper dish then I'm used to.  The other years using a zipp 404 type of wheel I had no problems.  This year with my new carbon front wheel it's 88 mm's so almost double that of a 404.  I could really feel it and also when the big trucks would pass by the wind would gust.  It also feels fast with the deep front and the disc on the back so I'm all around happy.  I'll have to ride careful, hopefully not too much crazy cross winds, but I'm pretty confident with my handling and will be ready to fly on the IMC course.  Cheers,

DP 

No comments: