Friday, August 17, 2012

Massage

Hey,

I've been going for a few massages getting ready for Ironman in the last month or so.  My regular massage therapist moved locations away from my work so it became inconvenient to keep that up.  So I attempted to find a new good massage therapist.  I went twice to someone near my home, convenience is everything in a triathlete's life as there is no time to do something other than train right?  So I went twice and I gotta say I was kinda disappointed.  The first one was bad, but I thought I'd give it another chance cause the old one was bad to begin too so a second chance was in order.  It wasn't much better and now since I only have a bit more than a week before the race I thought I'd go back to the old one, yes make the trip across town for a massage that rocks!!  I'd been going to this girl for 3 years I think?  And she def. knows what I need.  I hardly have to say anything anymore, she knows it's going to be all legs, lots of calves(mine are always tight) and she can make me hurt sooo bad.  It did not disappoint, a good massage with as knotted calves/hams/thighs as I have can easily hurt worse than any workout.  You literally have to phsych yourself up for it as a high pain threshold is needed!!  Afterwards I need lots of water and she makes me promise I'll take a bath with epsym salts and will usually give me a ziplock bag enough for a single use.  Today I'm sore, but not as sore as I thought.  We both agreed I need one more touch up before IM.  So I'll go monday at noon for a shortie, hopefully not as painful just to give me one last "working over" before the big day.  If you don't already go to massage, you should, it's by far the best way to recover from weeks/months worth of workouts.  Make sure it's deep tissue, and if it doesn't hurt and make you cry like a little baby it's not deep enough.  If you don't have one, don't settle for a crappy one, try Alexis:

 www.absolutewellnesscalgary.
com

1 comment:

Keith said...

Yes, I should, and I've been trying.
My regular is in New Brunswick for the summer, back late Sept. The others are:
Vacation.
Vacation.
Booking mid September.
Not returning calls.

Maybe your champ moved closer to me? Please email me contact details.