Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Time to panic??

Taper time is tough.  It's tough when you're sooooo used to working out... often.  I workout 12 - 14 times a week I think, most days 2 times a day, maybe even 3 the odd day.  Plus there's stuff to do to get ready for Ironman.  Most of my "spare" time has been ordering stuff, wheel stuff, nutrition, tires, etc.  Funny how things have changed.  I got my disc cover from Cali in 2 days, aero wheel from China in a week?  Crazy fast, and no duty charges at all, not yet at least.

So yesterday I ran at noon, I was going to get my bike ready after work and also go for a ride with the race setup.  Well with the crazy weather and some hiccups with the wheels I couldn't get the second workout in aughhhhhhh!!  Frustration when Darryl can't get out for a evening workout.  Although I had house cleaning to do, and I didn't get any of that done either.  I was trying to get my cassette off so I could put on the disc cover.  I looked and looked for the special socket.  Couldn't find it, I musta looked for close to 2 hours.  Soooo I guess I'll have to borrow that or go buy another. 

Then the front wheel...  I managed to get the valve extender onto the valve ok, got the rim tape put onto the wheel.  Putting the tire onto the rim was tough.  I hadn't yet gotten my new rubber in the mail yet so I just put a old tire on for now, I wanted to make sure it worked.  Getting the tire on was tough, I was a little antzy about using a tire leaver on a carbon wheel.  So I tried and tried till my hands were tired/sore.  Then I got the tire leaver and managed to pop it on, success!!  Then the brake pads...  they don't fit, there's no hole.  It appears to be a track to just slide the brake pads in place.  I'm not sure how they would stay there.  This may be a china thing, are their brakes different???  Anyways I guess I'll have to get other pads.  So off to the bike shop again.  I've been there too often and they always manage to add costs to what ever I'm there for.

So despite all that I managed to keep a level head.  Although in the back of my mind I'm worried somthing won't fit and I won't have time to order anything else that I've overlooked or doesn't fit correctly.  Plus the taper blues doesn't help.  People keep asking if I think I'm ready.  I already got heck a few times when I give them my honest answer.  I'm not really sure, I don't think my riding is as strong as in years past.  My running is rock solid and better than ever, so as long as I can get to the run in a reasonable time I know I'll be fine.

Oh, btw I did visit the doctor on monday and have gotten some Ventilin for the swim.  So I will take that before the start, even though I don't think my breathing will be an issue in the okanagan as it's dry there.  But I wanted it anyways, if nothing else as a pre-caution. 

My basic two fears are the swim start/water conditions and my endurance on the bike.  I haven't had as many long rides as I would have liked.  Especially since I had some bad ones of late to kinda drop my confidence.  I bank on the fact that I'm always unsure of myself and uptill now I have a almost PERFECT IM record in that I'm 4/4 on overall PBs, and 11/12 for individual sport PBs.  So let me have my couple days of self-doubt, it will pass and I will have a great race despite it!!  Over an out!

1 comment:

Dano said...

See you in Penticton! No self doubt man, you are ready.