Friday, October 26, 2007

new and old memories

This is one of my favorite triathlon pics. An action shot coming into T2 in a olympic distance race. I believe the year was 1998, I'm not totally sure of my times, somthing like 24 min swim, 1:07 bike, and 42 min run. I know this was my fastest 1500 swim, because it was in a river and you'd swim upstream on the outside(where the current isn't strong) then go out and swim with the current in the middle(where the current is strong). Some of my lane buddies would get pissed because they could smoke me in the pool, but in the race with the wetsuit I could hold my own against guys two lanes up from me. I loved having that advantage. This race was pretty hot so the run wasn't as good. Good memories. :) Cheers to makin more memories with new friends. Not so new anymore but friends that I didn't have back then.

I always dreamt of doing Ironman as I've posted many times before. I finally got to do it last year, the time is not so important on the first one. Although don't get me wrong I'm stoked about the time, that was a bonus. But I think the first one is just all about the finish, getting through the day and saying to yourself, "I did it!!!" Hopefully Curtis will feel the same and hopefully I can share in his victory on the day. I'd like to improve and improve a lot, but I also have to remind myself that things can go a lot dif. then last year. I still have to race the same way, be patient and save myself for the run. Make sure I take the proper nutrition and PACE MYSELF!! Wouldn't it be great if all of us could have a good day and go out and celebrate afterwards. Sharing the race stories, weather it's struggles to get through, problems during certain parts, or just plain aggony that you felt it's great to relate afterwards. Cheers,

Darryl

PS: Curtis says he figures swimming likes me now. Hmmmm I'm not convinced yet but we'll see, I don't give up that easy. I have to learn not to fight it, the water is my friend, the water is my friend, the water is my friend. I'm gonna repeat that while I swim.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good memories!Ya definatly!!!
Hey D,who is Leslie/trichickie???Her blog looks just like yours.Kinda wierd,kinda spookie???

i am Susan said...

Hey...Thanks for stopping by my blog. You know what, I have that love hate/relationship with swimming as well (leaning more on the hate side), but I figure it's better to dislike the swimming part as it's the shortest...imagine if you hated the biking...man, that would be terrible.

I am looking forward to reading many more of you blogs : )