Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Weights who knew?

Heya,

Training is going good, I'm not doing too much or too little, but I am progressing. I'm taking Cam's advice and not doing too much, but I am gonna hit the ground running when spring hits. One way to do this is to hit the weight room. I've told a bunch of people last year when asked why I don't do weights is; Why should I do weights when it's not the weights that make me faster, it's the swimming biking and running, that will essentually get me faster? Untill I'm able to get enough of the miles I won't do weights.

Well this year I figure I'm starting a bit earlier and not cycling yet(I hate riding on the trainer), why not do some weights and get my core strength up? I got a co-worker who does weights so he makes sure we're covering everything and I get a training partner out of it. Today we did an awsome work out, we did back and legs. I don't have the greatest core strength and if I were to pick a weak point it would def. be my lower back. Wow I could really feel it doing the one exercise. I'm not sure what it's called but you're lower body is held in place and your upper is suspended. Then you lower it down to the floor and back up again. You can add weight by holding a weight up against your chest. It's kind of like a backward situp. This will really help strengthen my back so I'll be more comfortable on the bike for the long rides. More comfort on the bike in those later miles means more speed and more aero riding. woooooahhhhhhhh.

Yesterday we did arms, then swam in the evening with Curtis and a 47 min. run after with Curtis. I'm lovin the different training program. I get bored following the same training routine and I have to change it up almost every race. I'm soooo happy to not be swimming in that crappy Bob Bahan pool near my house. The old people and noobs that get in your way all the time are soo annoying. Plus now I get to swim with other triathletes(especially Curtis) in the club and actually follow a work out. Cheers,

Darryl

No comments: