Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Back on the mend and some big news

Hey all,

Well after a second unplanned recovery week I think I'm back on the mend. I still have a slight cough but that's going quick too. I just have to be patient and no outdoor training for a bit till I'm 100%. Right now it's basically the asthma holding onto my cough, my energy is at 100%. Despite the crappy weather I've had a couple of good work outs. Sunday Curtis and I swam, I think I did 3800 yards. We swim in a old YMCA pool which I have gotten to like despite the shortness. For the main set we alternated 500 pull with 5x100 free. Then I got an hour in on the treadmill after that. By now I'm sure everyone knows about all the snow on the ground. To make matters worse, back in Manitoba they were enjoying +20 during our snow storm. I nearly swore at my family members talking to them on the phone. Today was a brick, I did 1.5 hours on the bike at home, then had a slight delay going to the gym to run 40 min at a zone 2 pace. It felt really easy and I was tempted to up the pace from the 8 mph.

Oh on to the news, I finally decided to train under Greg Bradley from Speed Theory. I find it hard to make decisions, it took me over a month of pondering to finally make the call. I'm pretty excited about it, but also a little nervous(sorry just bein honest) I haven't had a coach in years. I've always just done my own thing, but hey somtimes you gotta take a leap of faith. He's very knowledgeable and has an awsome attitude. I'm pretty sure the relationship will work out just fine, we've met a few times and he seems very easy going yet passionate towards the sport. The one thing that he told me over and over again was that he just wants to help people acheive their goals. He's got a lot of experience too. I'd never trust a coach who hasn't been out there on the course and felt what we feel on race day. In fact he'll be out there on Aug. 27th with us. I look forward to seeing him get his kona spot. No pressure Greg. Pretty cool, anyways that's enough about him, don't want to embarrass him too much. :P

6 comments:

Susi said...

That's awesome you'll be training with Greg! I've known him for two years now and have had him as my official coach since January. I just know that with his experience and attitude that you will go far!

Not sure if he's mentioned it yet, but he's putting on a IM tri camp during May long weekend in Penticton. You should join in the fun. I think so far there are 8 of us confirmed.

All are welcome too so if you know anyone else that is looking for a camp, let them know.

Take care!

runningman said...

Hey,

Yeah I think he mentioned it. I'll have to see if I can make it.

Julie said...

Welcome to the IG clan! I met Greg in 2004, when I walked into his shop and announced I wanted to do IMC the next year, but needed to learn how to swim, needed a bike, and needed a coach!! LOL!!

Happy training!! :) :)

Keith said...

I think you've certainly made a good choice of coach. Following his plan has got me further than I dreamed i'd be, and I've only been working with him since November or so. As you may have noticed, we've got a great blog community. Welcome to the club!

runningman said...

Thanks for all the kind words from you guys. I have to admit I also like the team aspect. It definatly played a role in making the decision. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you soon. :)

Chad Geiger said...

Hey Man,
I kind of hope that you get a neon green tri suit to wear at IMC. With all of Greg's students, all I'm going to see from the sidelines is Speed Theory jerseys! I'll be cheering, but I will not know who I'm even cheering for with all the red and black flying by me!!!! Congrats on the coaching and hopefully I won't see you at the gym much more because your too busy outside!

Chad