Monday, April 28, 2008

DNF

Hey all,

Thanks for the encouragement you guys, but unfortunately it wasn't to be my day. My calf was still stiff at the race start. I did a decent warmup there wasn't much pain just mainly stiffness. I got into the start area and waited and waited and waited for the gun. Eventually it did go off and we started to run. As usual I was wayyy too far back so I had to weave in and out of all the runners. I doubt I got more then 300-400meters out and my calf pulled, so I had to pull out. My day was done. This is my first ever DNF in a race, didn't think my first would happen that early into a race. Kinda embarrassing, I felt stupid walking back with the number still attached to my shirt. One lady pointed out the fact that I was going the wrong way. I chuckled with her, it's cool someone else may not have appreciated it, but I know she meant no harm. I found Lisa quite easily and went to go hand in my chip. It was kinda embarrassing handing in my chip, the crew there were quite surpised, then they felt bad for me. Lol I think the one guy wanted to give me a hug. Hey, at least I was the first to hand in my chip eh? I called Curtis(a training friend) and let him know I wouldn't be running by at the landing and to tell him that the race started late. Lisa and I went for Breakfast with Curtis and his wife. It was cool, but no matter what you tell yourself ultimately it's still a bit of a downer.

We went home and I got ready for a swim with Curtis. Went back to the pool and we swam maybe 3500 meters. I came home and I decided to try the leg out on the bike. I walk with a bit of a limp but cycling doesn't use the calf much so I thought I'd try it. As I thought it was fine and I actually rode quite hard for an hour, no heart rate monitor, no training plan, just to go out and ride the way I felt. I got home and felt much better about the day, having got some use out of the awsome day. It was probably more of a mental release then a physical one.

I hear some of you others have had a really good weekend and I'm genuinely happy for you guys. I decided during the swim that I wasn't going to let this get me down. The realization came during a song by Gob called give up the grudge."you know your bitchin' and complainin' like you've got it so tough. we're sick of all your cryin', will you ever shut up? so keep bleedin' your fake blood" LOL I know there are better songs that might be closer to the situation, but that's the song that played. I don't want to complain about it so I'll just shut up, get better, and move on. I might be off of the running for a bit, but I can ride and swim and I'll do what I can to heal up. Maybe go for some massage, maybe ART we'll see. Cheers,

Darryl

PS: Sorry I do feel I let some of you down. No zone 4, and definatly NO ASS SLAPPING!!! lol Trevor you musta been waiting for it the whole run. I wonder how many times you heard footsteps behind you in the race and you braced yourself and got nothing. ha ha.

7 comments:

Susi said...

That sucks about your race, but it sounds like you bounced back from the disappointment, which is awesome!

I had my first DNF last year and it's brutal doing the walk back and handing in your chip. What can you do though except smile, hold your head high and think, meh, there will be many other races in my lifetime!

Take care of that calve, eat some Bridge Mixture chocolates and drink Jack Daniels. They heal all ailments!

Trevor Oseen said...

Too bad man. Takes a Dude to know when to throw that towel in.

Great job on fishing off the day with some "extra" training!

I was waiting for that slap but it never came. It was going to propel me 8 minutes faster...

i am Susan said...

Awww, Darryl, that's too bad----I would've given you a hug!

Leslie said...

Hey, that sucks about the race and that you are injured! Hopefully you will have a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

DONT give a rip what anybody else says or thinks about you!!!& dont worry about this race at all.You have bigger more important races to come this year.Get yourself back into good running shape.That is the most important thing!
Call me later if ya want to chat.Stay positive,Cam.

runningman said...

Thanks for all the nice comments guys/gals, I appreciate it.

Julie said...

It takes a certain level of maturity to do what is right and ignore race day hype. Your body will thank you for this later!!!

I think you just passed a huge mental test -- knowing when your body has had enough. There is a time to push it and a time to heal. Fortunately, you made the right choice.

Now, I just have to make sure I learn from your example. The biggest struggle for me has been listening to my body. You have inspired me!

I appreciate how challenging it must have been to battle the ego!!! Way to go!!!! :) :):):)