Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Penticton Day #3

Hey all,
Well I'm back from the camp. It started out a lil rough, but ended off really well. On Saturday we drove out to Oliver and swam in the lake there. The water was a bit chilly still, but manageble. I had a bit of trouble at the start, breathing and even a bit panicy?? Weird for me, I'm usually quite comfy in the water. After the swim we got the bikes ready and rode out together to Osoyoos to start the Anarchist climb. Greg and I have been talking about this one all year and it didn't disappoint. We all started our watches at the first pitch and started up. Trev, Greg, and I started out together. Trevor bolted up front stating that he at least wanted somtime in the lead. Aughhhh I wanted to start up a bit easier and build into it, oh well I didn't want to get dropped so I picked up the pace to stay with them. We stayed on Trevor's wheel for a few minutes, I felt pretty good, not hurting yet. He pulled to the side at some point and backed off a bit so I took over the pacing. I did my best just to keep with the tempo he had set. After a bit I looked back and noticed Trevor and Greg had dropped back a bit. Was I going too hard? Should I wait/sit up? I didn't want to go too hard and end up cooking myself. So I waited a bit, but they weren't coming back up to me. So I decided to just go it alone and see if they'd catch up later. We hadn't gotten to the first corner before all of this happened. I alternated tempo for a bit, then I'd shift down to spin easier. I rarely stood, except near the top. At one corner I glanced back and saw a red/white jersey not too far behind me. Looks like Greg(it was actually Dusty) was catching up. So I really started to push hard, it was maybe 30min into the climb and I really wanted to break the 50min barrier that we'd established as the Climb record(at least for us). There were a bunch of switch backs so it was hard knowing exactly where the top was. At one point I looked at the watch at around 40min and I thought k this must be it, the last straight away. Then I turn the corner and see another one going the wrong direction. Oh oh, running out of time the record might hold. Near the top it wasn't nearly as steep and I found I could shift up quite a few gears. Two straight aways I actually got into the big gear and down on the aero bars. Finally the last straight away and I could see the eagle. I stopped the clock at 47:59, yayyyy a new record!! Thump thump thump thump, look down and see a flat. LOL just after the finish line. Dusty was next, and then Greg and Trevor together. Then there was Ted, Curtis, and Dan(I'm not sure the order here). We took some pictures and I changed my flat and then we put our arm warmers back on and descended back into Osoyoos, the descent was freezing!! There my tire was flat again so I got to change my tire again!! This time I made sure to check the tire and take the metal OUT of tire before adding the tube. ROOKIE!!! We had a head wind riding back to Oliver so we worked together for a bit then later split up before getting into town. Curtis and I went out for a hour long jog in the evening. The stomach was still not 100% and it bothered me pretty much the entire run, but we survived. Curtis had also eaten dinner earlier so he wasn't feeling great either.

DP

EDIT: To answer Lisa's question. It's by Osoyoos, you got Richter Pass on one side, if you cross town past the lake it's the climb on the other side. Here is the mapmyride, it takes you up 2500ft I think 15.5km, but nothing over 11% I believe.
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/bc/osoyoos/247127481555474011

EDIT #2: Ha ha now I see my mistake, fixed it. We rode to Osoyoos** :) Thanks Lisa

5 comments:

Lisa Ulrich said...

Awesome job - sounds like a killer climb! Is it near the Oliver lake? Next time I'm out there I will be sure to try it out!

Julie said...

YAY!!! I am so glad you set a new record for your group, Darryl!!! You sure deserve it -- you have worked very hard these past months and it is now bearing fruit.

YOU ARE GOING TO KICK SOME SERIOUS ASS THIS YEAR DARRYL!!!!! Mark my words....

;)

Dano said...

I have no problems bringing up the rear when riding with guys like you Darryl! Thanks for the great days of riding!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great weekend,glad you all enjoyed it & did well.Only a month or so to go!!!

Leslie said...

Great work on the climb Darryl. I know what you are talking about at the top...I sometimes feel like that stupid statue will never be there!

Where are all of the chicks?? No ladies at camo this year?