Saturday, May 29, 2010

Penticton Day #5

Heya,

Long run day. I woke up that morning not feeling too bad. The sun was out too, yayyyy, although it woulda been nice to have some more of that sun for our riding uh? Oh well, so it goes. We headed out shortly after 9am. Dusty stayed behind to give us a head start, Trevor and I ran out with Dan. Off to the canal where we headed across to run on the trail on the other side of the dam. Trevor and I stuck together and got a nice pace going. Not speedy at all, but solid, just over 8min pace on gravel. I carried my nutrition in a bottle(Heed) which is a Hammer product, one of the sponsors for the camp. I planned on doing 2.5 hours, when I emailed Chuckie saying I could try for 2.5 hours he quickly corrected me saying that I wasn't just to try, but to DO THE 2.5 hours. hee hee So out I go 2.5 hours or bust. The legs were heavy, but I figured the legs may loosen up a bit as we go.

So Trev. and I headed out along the canal off to Skaha lake and back, we got there with out too much trouble, Dusty caught us easily by then and we made it to the turn in about 33 min? That got us back to the hotel in 66 min, how's that for even pacing uh? From there Trevor decided to do a dif. route and I went out after refilling and a swig of gel to do another out and back along the canal. My legs were feeling pretty good so I kept the same pace and actually ended up beating our time to lake Skaha. Just as I was running back Greg pulls in with the car for support. So I got a refil of Heed and another gulp of gel from the flask that Greg brought. Here Greg joined me for a bit, to keep me company as I was running alone(although I really don't mind) and also to test out his knee which had been giving him some grief since St. G IM. I figured I'd need a bit more than the full out and back so decided to run with Greg out a ways and return back to Skaha where his car was parked. This would tack on the right amount of time so I would almost be done when I get back to the hotel. So we did that, Greg ran with me a bit, drove off and I headed once again back to Lake Okanagan and the hotel. The legs were a bit sore by now, but still feeling good. I made sure on this long run to stay hydrated and take in enough nutrition since it was the last workout of a long hard weekend. Got back to the hotel and just needed to do a short out and back to make up the 2.5 hours. I musta picked up the pace in the second half, I just now looked at my Garmin for the first time and notice that my overall average pace was 7:59. 18.78 miles negative splitting the run. Not bad for having run after all that riding the days before. I headed directly into the lake for a ice bath after the run.

Trevor actually went out with the car to check on me since him and Greg figured I should be back by now. I was standing in the lake when I saw him drive off from the hotel. I walked back to the room, showered and checked out of the hotel. Back to Calgary I go, what an awesome camp. The rain sometimes had us worried and chilly temps at times. I also had to build up the strength from the sickness, but I ended it off really strong and with a whole new level of fitness. My legs weren't actually that tired after it. I think the previous weekend's two days of riding hurt me more. Thanks Greg for another solid camp, it was awesome! I'll be back to defend my Anarchist title, right Greg? hee hee Over and out

DP

1 comment:

Julie said...

What a great end to the camp -- a very solid run, Darryl!! WOW!

Nutrition and pacing and training all came together. AWESOME!

Too bad the sun didn't come out until the end, but at least it came out! :) :)