Monday, May 17, 2010

Post 300!!

Hey,
Well the weekend has come and gone. I was quite apprehensive as it's probably the biggest 2 days I've ever done. Saturday was to be a long "easy" fat burning type of ride. I put easy in quotes because any time you ride over 200km in a stretch the term easy doesn't really apply anymore does it? I managed 208km, for the most part I kept it easy. I pushed a bit at times, but not too much. Greg and Adrian joined me for the first 3 hours. Thanks guys!!

Sunday was the real test. How would I do on tired legs and a tired body. I went and swam in the morning, it took more than one attempt to get out of bed. I had to email/phone Curtis twice to reschedule the riding time. I think I have the best training partners EVER!!! If they ever get coaches themselves I'm screwed!! Anyways I finally got to the pool farmer tan an all(the life guards were laughing at me as I strolled by). Got it done and on to the bike, I was soooo tired. The plan was to do 4.5 hours and HARD!! After a few minutes on the bike I didn't actually feel that bad, physically tired, but my legs were turning the pedals! So I rode as hard as I could for the first 1:45. That's about when the wheels fell off, head wind and in the elbow falls crappy ashalt. I hate that chip seal!! Oh well I made it to the turn around and headed back. The tail wind seemed to help revive my muscles and I started to push the pace again. We only stopped once sunday and maybe 20minutes after the stop I spotted Greg on the horizon. He was determined to rip what was left of my legs completely off into oblivion!! And so he got me pushing really hard again. We rode side by side, not saying anything just pushing.

Here's where I started to worry again. You see I was to run hard off the bike too!! So I got to the car and nearly fell over as I dismounted. THe change was anything but graceful. I tried to push and my legs responded till we hit the big hill on a 1 mile loop. I was supposed to run 3 miles hard at 7min pace(don't forget I've ridden 340km in 24-36hours?), I was fine till I hit the hill and my legs said NO WAY!! So I stopped and walked for a bit, Curtis kept running. I didn't let him get too much on me before I started again. I got to the top and kept going, the pace was good actually. Managed 2 more laps, finished the 3 miles. The hill got better and better each lap, big stop on the first lap, short stop on the second, and the third I ran all the way up. The average pace was 7:04 with the walk breaks!! So ya I CAN run off the bike, I just need to do a few more come IM, but I will allow a lil slower pace. ;) A few easy days here and off to Penticton to seal the deal on this mega block of training. I hope all you tri buddies had a good weekend, couldn't have asked for better weather!!! Cheers,
DP

4 comments:

goSonja said...

Mega Grrrr! Way to go on a huge huge weekend. That's some mega work and I am coming to fear the wrath that you will deliver to the CDA course. I'm headed out there the same weekend you are in Penticton, thanks for that course preview by the way.

Keep up the good work, we are almost there!

Julie said...

An epic weekend to be sure!! You totally rocked it Darryl -- good ob on pushing yourself, pushing more, and finding the strength to push even more!!

Shannon Wicks said...

Happy 300th Buddy! Fark, you're old :)

Nice work over the weekend too...you are getting the job done!

Anonymous said...

Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my [url=http://www.uggbootsinuk2013.co.uk]ugg boots[/url] blog so i came to ??return the want??. [url=http://www.uggbootsinuk2013.co.uk]cheap ugg boots[/url] , I am attempting to in finding things to enhance my site!I assume its adequate to make use of a few of your concepts!!