Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Hit and Run

Last week after a swim I exited the Talisman centre to find my car got hit while I was working out.I was sooooo lucky there were two notes on my window from two witnesses. They both told me about the Telus Van that had crunched into my bumper then had gone to the other end of the parking lot and parked there. Crazy eh, not only a hit and run, but he decided to still get his workout in!!! I went over and checked and saw there was no damage to his vehicle. So I call the cops and wait for Mr. hitandrun. A few people walkedout and walked by me and the Van. I watched each person looking for a guilty face. I stayed a few cars over since I didn't want to block the person's exit in case he wanted to run, I don't want to become a violence casualty either. I'm no scrapper, never have been. Anyways eventually a guy walked up looking over at my car first then on to his Telus van. He had a really guilty look on his face, kinda flushed, but he tried to hide it as he walked by me to his Van. At that point I approched him and asked why he'd hit my vehicle. He totally denied it and asked me to prove it since he had no damage. I informed him that I had two eye witnesses. Then he gives me this lame excuse somthing like, "Oh well a lot of people don't like Telus, they'd do anything to get/frame me". Well I nearly burst out laughing, I didn't since I didn't want to piss him off. Seriously??? People would go through all that trouble of being a witness just because they have some beef with Telus??? I could see it if it was a annonomys note, but to come down from your apartment, walk over get the license, then offer to be a witness all to get a guy that only works for the company, he doesn't own it. That's two witnesses too!!! Anyways I let him know the cops were on their way he better stick around. So he did, he didn't want to get in trouble since I had all his info already, even the Van unit number. We waited like 90 minutes, Lisa came eventually since I was STARVING since I'd just done a double workout and had no post recovery food. So the police came and got both our stories, they took one look at my car and knew exactly how he'd hit it. He'd been turning around the front of my vehicle(approaching from the back) and caught the bumper with his wheel which is why there was no damage(on his van). Smart guys, I'm glad I called the police. So they got all the info, my statement, my witness info(I should have kept this cause now I need it for insurance) and told me I was fine. They believed my story especially with the witnesses and even issued the guy a ticket. Not exactly sure what it was for, probably for leaving the scene of an accident?? So now my car is in the shop and Lisa and I have to car pool since I don't have rental coverage. If the guy had admitted it his insurance would cover that, but since he still claims he did nothing even my deductable is still pending.

On the training front, my running has been a bit limited from the Police Half. My left calf has been giving me some pain so I've been resting it. It feels great by now though so I'll give it a 20min jog today and we'llsee where it's at. The swimming is still going pretty good, but honestly between you and me I'm kinda getting sick of swimming. I've been doing a lot of riding lately, I think 9:45 in 4 days? I'm even given the okthat I can put in extra rides here and there. My cycling is def. my limiter and I need extra miles. This weekend is my first super long ride, please oh please Mother Nature pleeeeeease give us some outdoor riding weather. Anyways I think that's pretty much it, my post wasn't so short afterall. I appoligize for the non-triathlon related story, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of it.


UPDATE: Looks like Telus has accepted fault even though this guy still says he didn't do it. It was kinda funny the way my insurance broker explained it saying somthing like "Yeah his Telus supervisor accepted responsibility even though he still says he didn't do it." So what this means is my deductable is no longer pending and I get a rental car for the rest of the time that my car is in the car hospital.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I can't believe that guy actually had the wherewithal to lie right to your face and then start equivocating. Unbelievable!!! Good for you for approaching him and getting the police. What an A$$hole.

Or as my Mom would say, "Asinine-Dit-Face." LOL!!!

Your calf is going to heal up just fine, you are in good hands with your coach.

Jenna said...

Some people have an issue with Telus .....lmfao - yeah right!!

Don't get sick of swimming - embrace your inner fish.

Dano said...

Sorry to hear about the troubles Darryl. I have to admit that I think Telus is one of the worst companies in existance but I can't say that I would try to frame their employees. Dude seems like a D-bag to me.

Hope the weather turns around for you this weekend. Conrats on your Police half man!! Maybe next time I will see you out there!

Susi said...

so glad that you had witnesses and waited. yikes. some people eh?!

Anonymous said...

Crazy true story D!!!Good luck with the weather this weekend.It is snowing in the mountains,but not in town.???Actually sunny right now,just got back from a 1:40 run:).

Trevor Oseen said...

Jacka$$... Glad you put the screws to 'em. Oh yeah, I can add to my list of reasons I don't like Telus.