Friday, May 7, 2010

USA!! USA!! USA!!

USA! USA! USA! That's what two dudes were yelling/chanting as I climbed at Edworthy Park yesterday. It kinda helped actually, helped take my mind off the pain in my quads and the loss of feeling in my toes. The hill is almost exactly 1km long, did the first one pretty quick in like 3:26, then the others all seemed to fall between 3:30-3:45, or somthing like that? It's a great hill if the weather is crappy, completely protected by trees from the wind. Yesterday though it didn't help much, I checked the temp right after and it was only +1. That's gotta be a record for this fella. The wind would blow through my shoes on the way down(I for some reason didn't put on the shoe covers/booties) then on the way up you're pushing so hard on the pedals that the circulation has a terrible time of warming the foot. So by the time I'd done 12 of those I couldn't feel my toes anymore, and my fingers were cold too.

Did a 40min jog again to test out my calf and I'm really happy to say I didn't feel a thing, the soreness/stiffness is completely gone. Just goes to show if you nip those slight irritations(not yet full fledge injuries) in the butt early you can get rid of them before they do become an injury. A theory of mine is that every time you test a sore spot, whether it's a foot or leg say you feel a little pain one day. Not the type of regular pain you get from a hard workout, you guys know the difference. Say you take 2 days off running then hit the road again, it's not gone in fact you run too much or too hard and re-aggrevate it(you guys know what I'm talking about I'm sure everyone's done that at some point) say that injury would have taken 3 days to heal and you ran at the 2 day mark. You re-injure it and now you got 5 days recovery time. Then you wait 3-4 days and try to run hard on it again, re-aggrevate it. Congratz you now have a full fledge injury and must take off another 7 days. It goes up exponentially and if you would have just been patient at the start and taken the 3 days off you wouldn't keep hurting it and keep adding time to your recovery. Just my opinion, that's the way it's worked for me in the past. The great thing about triathlon is that you got 2 other sports to keep you fit while you're healing, and most of the leg/foot injuries don't bother cycling AND running. And for me running is my strength especially right now so it was a no brainer, crank up the cycling and swimming and give the leg the rest. Peace out,

Oh, and PS: The reason I think they were chanting USA was because I was wearing a blue jacket with red trim. I think that's why. Seriously do I look that funny while cycling??? Someone else took my picture again in fish creek park(remember last year?).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree witcha...you gotta give those nagging lil buggers a break if you wanna be able to recover the right way....