Wednesday, March 26, 2008

LT test

Hey,

I did another LT test today as last times test was not as definate as I would have liked. I know I should go to a lab to do this, but I'm too cheap. I'm also told that by doing this more often the results get easier to see, so I tried it again. This should be it for testing as I'm pretty sure of my zones now. I did the same test I described last time with the treadmill at 3% grade, starting at 6 mph and increasing in increments of .3 mph while taking max heart rates for each speed. Then you graph it and it should steadily rise, then flatten out at threshold and jump back up. The first heartrate where you notice is flatten is your magical number. One good thing I noticed is that I was able to run the whole test at about 8 beats lower then the previous test, on each measurement. The thing that puzzles me is that I wasn't able to run the test any longer, you would think with the lower heart rate I'd be able to do one more measurement, but I couldn't. Here are my numbers;

3% grade
6 mph - 125 bpm
6.3mph - 132 bpm
6.6mph - 137 bpm
6.9mph - 141 bpm
7.2mph - 143 bpm
7.5mph - 147 bpm
7.8mph - 150 bpm
8.1mph - 154 bpm
8.4mph - 157 bpm
8.7mph - 161 bpm
9mph - 164 bpm
9.3mph - 166 bpm

As you can see it kinda flattens out when it only jumps up 2 beats at the end which would give me a AT of 164. The rest of the way up, once it settles down(I got water between my warmup and test, that explains it going up quick at the start) it alternates between 3 and 4 beats increase. With the 164 AT(I estimated the last test to be at 168, but now looking back that may have not been as accurate) I can get the below target zones to use in training, and eventually figure out my pace for the bike. I don't have the luxury of using power so I have to estimate it with this type of a test and my long rides(trial and error).

AT zone1 zone2 zone3 zone4 zone5a zone5b zone5c
164 109-139 140-149 150-156 157-163 164-167 168-174 175-182

Cheers,

Darryl

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey d,your at should be the top end of your zn 4.164bpm should be the top of your zn 4 & you should never exceed this during ironman(at any time)
do the test at least 3 times to see how accurate it is.2 times will just give you 2 comparisons.3 will actally give you an average of all the tests done.
you are on the right track.you can also get your max hr & calculate your zones from there.
hope this helps you a little,call me if ya want any help.later,Cam.

Anonymous said...

one other thing...your hr on the bike will be about 10 beats different than the run.eg:your zone 1 one bike would be 109-129 & go up 10 beats for each additional zone. go through the tri bible training zones for bike & run.
I did both run & bike testing & both were accurate.
keep learnin!!!