Friday, March 14, 2008

When is it ok to quit?

Hey,

This is a tough question and will no doubt have many answers. I don't have it all figured out and won't pretend that I do. I guess I do have some things figured out for myself and in this area I'm sure it'll probably be different for everyone. First off I'm not really talking about races more work outs. At what point is it ok to throw in the towel and stop. Some might say NEVER, always finish what you start, if you do quit you'll be more inclined to throw in the towel on race day. First off I'll start with a story.

Back when I was running marathons, not doing any multisport stuff. I had a university coach, he coached the long distance University girls. Long distance on the track is 1500-10000. He had me do some incredibly tough work outs. He would watch me closely and even run behind me at times to watch the form. One particular work out I was feeling tired because of all of the mileage and he asked me about it inbetween sets. I mentioned that I was just plain tired from the miles and from work(construction). He didn't even flinch and told me flat out to just quit the work out. At first I argued, I hate just throwing in the towel thinking I can finish at least. Sure it won't be quality any more, but mentally it just sucks quitting a big work out. His reasoning was that if I'm not getting any benefit out of the workout, just slogging my way through it, then the work out is useless and will only make me more tired for the next quality workout. He would rather me quit, limit the damage, and come back rested for the next one. So he had me do a long lengthy cooldown and we called it a day.

I'll never forget that lesson learned and it applys to my Ironman prep just as it did in my track work. So yesterday when Chad saw me leave quickly out of the gym, I was in fact quitting. No my training hasn't been that hard. Yesterday it was more a mental thing, I just didn't want to be there. Sorry I can't really explain it. I did do squats for the first time in like 15 years and my legs were sore too even though I did lift very little. Sometimes I allow myself to just quit, why do it if I"m not enjoying it. Oh don't get me wrong I often have days where I don't feel like going out for my work out, ie getting out the door. That's completely different, I usually trick myself when I'm not motivated. I tell myself after 15-20 minutes if I still feel bad, unmotivated I can quit. Guess what, I almost never do I always warm up then after 15-20 minutes get into the grove so to speak and keep going feeling great. Track workouts or any tough workouts are different, obviously you're going to hurt in a long set or a 6 hour ride. Do I quit often? NOPE, it happens to me maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Each time I've known that I'm not getting anything out of the work out and my time would be better spent resting and preparing mentally for the next workout instead of sand bagging through the work out. Sure I finished the work out but I run the risk of getting injured, sick, or having a bad work out #2. Not worth it in my books. Anyways there's enough blah blahing for now. Oh and btw I've NEVER dropped out of a race ever so I know it works for me.

3 comments:

Trevor Oseen said...

Hey man. You're more a man that 99% of the dudes that I know so keep up the good work! We all have those crappy days and never let others negativity wear on you!

Anonymous said...

Hey D,I also jam on some workouts,BUT I always try to start it & then go for 20min to start,If I am still not into it I will still get 20min in.Usually once I am out it is ok & I can finish the workouts.
If you are not 100% use the workout as an easy recovery workout,just run or walk for it.It helps flush the legs as well as giving you an easy day.

there is still tons of gravel on the roads here,so no outside ridin yet,maybe on a mountain bike?Probably 2 weeks away from some outside stuff here...But you will get that new bike dirty!!!!!

Leslie said...

Hey Darryl, funny that I am reading this post when for the first time in a while I quit my workout tonight because I am super tired. I agree with you 100%. There is a difference between being unmotivated and being tired; too tired to risk doing more damage by working out. Rest up for the key workouts of your season!