Monday, August 4, 2008

Hey all,

Monday:

Been looking forward to this ride for a bit. Curtis had conveniently skipped the country so no workout partner. Greg had offered I could tag along with his long ride this weekend, perrrrrrfect timing. We both don't like mornings too much so decided to start at 10 am. I was late, but I'm gonna put all the blame on the poor guy who had an accident at the corner of deerfoot and memorial. But seriously, I hope he/she's ok, either way they directed traffic to head south on deerfoot so I founda back route to downtown and across to Greg's. No biggie another 20 min for Greg to wake up, hee hee. We started out at a nice easy pace, good thing about riding with Greg. He waits and bides his time, there will be no hammering from the get go. Allows me muscles to warm up properly and give us time to chat too.

There were quite a few cyclists on Springbank road on the way to Bragg Creek. Nice day, a bit chilly but still nice. Not too much wind, a bit of a head wind going out, but that's life. We stopped in Bragg Creek to refuel, sorry Greg I only brought two bottles. Refueled and headed out to 22x and on to Millarville. This is the third time I've ridden this route, I absolutely love it. I'm also learning to know it's turns and hills and to know my aprox. location by the geography. Near the last turn Greg had me go on ahead while he visited with the Cows near by. I hope he didn't ummmmmm pee their lunch?!?!?! I went ahead and when I got on the smooth highway I felt good so I decided to givver a bit. It feels so good to giver on smooth highway, it feels so fast. I think Greg figured we were doing 40-42 into Millarville(no tail wind I think it was a cross). When I hit the cross road to turn into Millarville I realized I'd dropped a bottle. Aughhhh those stupid bottle launchers, I'll def. have to replace those before IMC. On the way back we looked at a few of the rough spots, but gave up soon. I hate those bottles anyways. My new nemesis for long rides is bottles that leak sticky nutrition ALL OVER MY BABY!! lol don't ask Curtis about me swearing a blue streak about my stupid bottles in the middle of no where.

So we get back to Bragg creek, refuel again and hit the ride home. We'd done a bunch of tempo work starting at Bragg on the way out. Greg wouldn't tell me when he'd just up the pace. I think the first time I didn't even clue in, I was just thinkin to myself hmmm this long ride pace is a lil quick, not sure I can hold this for the whole thing. Then he sits up and I realize that's the end of that session. I know I'm a dummy, :P It's ok though the moment my legs start to complain much I'm really good at stickin to the back wheel like it's glue. Thankfully I didn't have to draft that much, most of the tempo riding I stayed back a bit, although I'm sure my effort level was way higher than Greg. What can I say, the man can ride. Later on coming back into Calgary we played a bit of Cat and Mouse games on the last hills. I even surprised Greg and pulled ahead of him on one hill. Course he made a point of dropping me on the next longer hill, hee hee. My legs would have none of that one, no matter how much I tryed to coax them. This something like our conversation went, "GOOOOO one last hill Greg's going we can do this stay on his back wheel!" Legs respond with, "You're on your own, I got nothing left, it's totally your fault for blowing us both up on the last hill" Me, " We can do this at least try, keep in contact" Legs, " WTF do you think we, no I change that I have been doing for the last 150km we're done, OVER" Aughhh there's only so much the legs can be convinced. Hee hee Greg hammered by a roadie and buddy clung onto his back wheel. When I crested the hill I had visions of us riding in the tour and Greg waiting for me to bridge up so we could drop the poor roadie. So I put my head down and proceeded to claw my way back(bridge up). My legs and I were talking again(they recover quick) and I(Jens) bridged up to Greg(Andy) and together we took off ahead of the poor roadie. At one point I spit(it was a good loogie) and I turn around and there he was. What the.... he musta grabbed onto my wheel. I just towed him up to Greg(Andy) dammit!! Oh well back into Calgary and my lil Tour game was over as we hit the first street, back up from the bars. I also appoligized for spitting on or near(not sure which it was) buddy.

We went for a short run after, I think it was about 25 minutes. We started out pretty hard, but then half way through I started to bonk bad. I had to even walk a bit, could it be the red bull then lack of sugar after to keep the energy up. I doubt I got enough calories, but the pace was high at the start. Although if it was the pace it'd be the legs to go, not the blood sugar. Anyways it was an awesome day. Pretty much everything, some spinning, tempo, hard hill climbs, and some hammering. Andy and Jens rule the roads!!!! Wooo hooooooooo

3 comments:

Julie said...

Red Bull? You actually drank a Red Bull before you ran? Oh man, that sounds like an awesome experiment! Hahahahaha!

Great riding Darryl!

Susi said...

sounds like an awesome ride! love the leg conversation, haha.

i seriously hope you didn't get any of your awesome loogie on the guy behind you. ew.

Leslie said...

Ha ha, thats funny you almost hit that guy with a loogie!

Sounds like you guys had fun out there. The count down is on...18 more days to IMC!