Tuesday, August 26, 2008

IRONMAN CANADA RACE REPORT

Hey all,

This could be fairly long, but hey, it was a long day, so there's lots to cover. Hopefully I will get the pictures soon to upload and maybe I'll steal a couple from Chad. :P

Soooo here goes nothing, the alarm finally went off at 4 AM. I was pooped from all the running around the day before so I actually slept great. That's the key right, make sure you're busy enough to get tired. That way you don't have time to fret about the upcoming day and you get tired enough to get some Zzzzs. I lay there for a few minutes, just letting it all soak in. How would the day go? I guess I'll find out, there's no more waiting I just have to go out and do what I've trained my body to do.

K, enough thinking time to get some food in me. Breakfast is fairly simple, I go on what I know works for me, instant oatmeal, ensure, bananas, and a muffin(poppy seed kind are yummy). Weird I wasn't too nervous yet. Last year I was freaking out at the start, it was sooo much colder and the water was sooo rough. This year I'm a year more prepared, I know what the swim will be like, I know I can protect myself. I'll get through it, the bike is where my confidence lies, and the run, well we'll just have to see. I'm a runner at heart still, I'm sure it'll come around. Back to breakfast, I ate my food as well as my tummy would allow. I had to give myself breaks from that as the butterflies were making it difficult to get all the calories in. Nothing new though, it would be bad if there were none.

The infinit was put into the bags, these are the special needs bags and warm up clothes bag. There's still much organization to be done. How would I carry it all, wetsuit, bags, bottles, cap, goggles, pump, etc. Later on I discovered that I should have used my back pack. I'm still not very organized at this, still things to learn uh? Who am I kidding I'm a IM rookie still. :P

Soo with breakfast down, stuff packed into the car we headed over to transition. It's still dark outside, kinda earie but there's still a calmness about the day. I know I'm ready, I'd done all I can to prepare myself for it. I hope the weather is good, but it doesn't worry me much, I'll be at the finish rain or shine, wind or calm. Lisa dropped me off pretty close and I walked the rest of the way down main street towards the lights. Lisa hugged and kissed me, wishing me the best. She knows all the effort put into this, she knows what this means to me. As I walked away, I already looked forward to seeing her on the course. Last year I did this alone, this year she's all aboard to cheer me on. What a contrast, oh sure she was with me in my heart, but it sure makes a difference when you're out there to hear/see your loved ones and know they are behind you 100%.

It was quite a walk and I needed to take a break, switching bags and resting my hands. First thing first, the special needs bags for the run and bike(these are bags that you may put what ever you would like to be received at 120km into the bike and half way through the run). I packed bottles of infinit which would be my main fuel throughout the day, some snickers bars and some red bull. I met Curtis there, it was soooo cool to go through the morning with him. We dropped our bags off, got body marked(by Susi, thanks Susi you rock!!) and headed off for a more pre-race prep. Fill up the bike tires, visit the poop fairy, and put on the wetsuit.

We had planned to meet Cam in one of the corners of the mens change tent. He was there and got to get ready with plenty of time to spare, I even got to put on some sun block this year(I burnt really really bad last year). There was a couple changing there and no one really noticed till later that there was a chick in the mens change tent till later. lol Oh well no one cared, everyone pretty much had their race outfits on underneath anyways. 6:30 and off the start we go, we still weren't sure where to start. I know Greg likes the right side, Cam favors the far left. What's a guy to do uh, go in the middle? I lost Cam and Curtis walking through the crowds, so I said my goodbyes in my head, wished them both an awesome race!!! I found Trevor gettin ready to rock lake okanagan, he swims with the best of them and I decided to stay near the right side. My thinking is everyone always says left side is better(cept for Greg) people always want to go wide, so I figured do the opposite of everyone else.

I saw Kelsey too and gave her a hug, I think she looked a lil fearful, but hey why shouldn't she? She's about to do an Ironman. I was much calmer then last year, it was nice not being afraid. Nervousness is ok, being scared stiff is bad. Somone sang the national anthem, Peter Reid fired the Cannon for the pros and we got ready for our start(the age groupers). I spit into my goggles, I really hope they don't fog up for the swim. My thoughts before the start, long clean strokes, glide, keep away from the feet, head up when needed, and keep moving. BOOOOOOM

The cannon goes off, ahhhhhh the first strokes felt soo good, finally the day is here. No more looking into the future, no more worrying, as that inspirational thing that I posted said, no more IM thoughts cause I'm finally racing in one. The start was actually pretty clean, I kinda thought it'd be worse. It is quite clean on the right side for the most part, except when the people start coming in from the left side. That's when it got a bit hairy maybe 400m into the swim, maybe the first bouy? I saw a couple goggles floating just below and I think even a swim cap. I guess someone's start wasn't as clean as mine. I swam untill people would bump into me, then I'd go head up, or push them away. It's frustrating sometimes when people swimming nicely beside you and decide to turn and swim right into you. At times I even pushed people straight, I felt like pointing, "There's the bouy, swim that way please!" I looked around a lot, noticed more of what was going on around me. I noticed one guy was steady and swam really straight so I sat on his feet for a while, till someone else stole my spot, damn him!!

The water was mostly calm, at times there were big waves, but I think they were from boats because they never lasted long. Soon I could see the first houseboat, it was a welcome relief. I'm not sure why cause I still have a long ways to swim, not even half, but it was nice to know I just have to swim over a bit and then back to shore. I expected the houseboats to be a gong show. I swam on the inside of the bouys for the most of the swim so that means I gotta take the inside line around the houseboats. I prepared for a full on fist fight, but it didn't happen. Weird like my swim start, maybe taking the opposite of what everyone else was doing? Like sure there was bumping, but I thought it would be worse. On to the next couple bouys, houseboat and then home. The second houseboat had me swimming seriously right along the houseboat.

Sooo back and on the inside of the bouys where it was nice clean water. I actually saw smooth swimmer guy again and sat on his feet for a bit again. Then took it on my own for the rest of the way. One other thing I noticed while swimming, I could tell my pace can't be that bad cause I noticed most of the swimmers around me had good form. I wondered in my head if they were sizing me up too? What would they think, positive or negative by my form? lol I know too much thinking, but it helped get me through the swim section. I also heard Mike Reily's voice still with like 1k meters to go. Funny cause I remember thinking Bull shit!! when he used to say somthing like, "Make some noise, they can hear you out there!!!"

Sooo came out of the water, checked my watch 1:09!!! Awesome, I was hoping for 1:10. That was encouraging and I was in good spirits running into the change tent. Someone yelled my name in there, I thought it was Greg, but he says it was someone else so I have no idea who it was then. The change went kinda slow, I see my T1 time was 3:46 so not too too bad, so away on my bike I go. Lisa had found my bike in transition so I saw her smiling face as I grabbed it and headed out.

The bike started out ok I can't remember who all yelled at me, it was nice having the support out there. I passed this chick and she yelled at me "gooooo legend, Darryl!!!!" It was Jenna, wow that was so cool to see her, I guess I should have expected it, it isn't the first time she's beaten me out of the water. She is a fish, so I wished her a good day and kept going. I kept tabs on the hr and noticed it was rather high. There was a touch of head wind going along lake skaha and I tryed to get the hr down. I wasn't paying attention to the others around me, zipping by me, more just the internal clock telling me to keep it going, but still 136-140 bpm, hmmmm a lil high. after McClain creek hill I tryed harder to get the hr down to more of a 132 which I got getting closer to Osoyoos. My neck and crotch were starting to hurt too. My choice of race shorts was a bad decision, mental note (make sure to test and use a newer pair for next year). Looking forward to the climbs.

There were some big packs forming by then and it was frustrating cause I couldn't even get around them. They'd all come by me, I'd drop back, even sit up at times. Then I'd catch up, have to pass them all IF I could. Somtimes I couldn't pass cause there would be 2-3 across. I think I even mentioned out loud(not angrily or anything) if you're not going to pass please move aside, you can't just ride freeily on the left side of the lane. Anyways the worst of it was just before Osoyoos and I was looking forward to Richter. That would help break it up, hopefully I can drop all these pretenders. ha ha

Wow I felt sooooo good climbing up Richter, I immediately got into my rhythm and my hr was co-operating at a nice easy 143. I kept it there all the way up and man I wish I had counted the bodies that I passed, it musta been like 50 cyclists. After cresting the top I immediately got down on the bars and hammered down the hill. I saw plenty of other riders needing some time to recover and or rest at the top and even on the way down. Not me, that was a baby hill, hee hee. I was passing cars on the way down some of Richter and the rollers. Is it weird that I actually looked forward to the hills? I hated going on the flats, looked forward to every hill climb, and mourned the loss of the rollers. I even let out a big baaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa for Susi on the first roller. I quickly looked around to make sure no one could hear.

I had one scare coming down one of the rollers, I tuck quite low on the aero bars and alternate looking up and looking straight down. Anyways I went over a big bump going very fast, I thought for a second I was going down. But I didn't and checked my bike to make sure the wheels were true and there were no sounds or anything kaput. There was a noise at times that I thought may have been caused at that point, but I kept going. I had visions of me toppling over my bars later when what ever the noise was breaks, ha ha.

On to the out and back section, I started feeling terrible here. I was out of infinit after the rollers and was onto using gateraide which didn't seem to be working with me. I used some of my gel too, but still felt crappy. My crotch was on fire and I had a bitch of a time getting comfortable on the saddle. My neck was hurting too, I kept looking ahead waiting for the special needs. I had stowed a red bull in the bag and was looking forward to it. Maybe that would combined with the short rest bring me around? I also looked for Greg but never saw him, was he that far ahead of me? He can't be, there were barely any cyclists at the start of the out and back. He tells me he saw me, but I didn't hear him. Oh well the special needs and turn around came, I quickly replaced bottles and stuffed the much needed drink into my pocket. I figured I'd wait till I was close to Yellow lake before drinking it.

The false flats area before yellow lake hurt too, I actually looked forward to the climb again. Weird hey, I was hurting yet still looking forward to the climb??? I guess it was my crotch that was the most unhappy out of my body parts. I drank the red bull and prepared for the climb. I also looked forward to seeing Lisa. She was going to be on the hill, and of course all the fans. Wow there were a lot and some friends I had met through Cam were there too, Shelly, and I forget the other lady's name. They barely caught my number, I had to wave, ride by, then I hear them yell somthing like, "Goooooo DARRYL!!!" you know thinking for the name and probably trying to read it off my butt as I'm riding away, hee hee. It's fine I forget one of their names too, maybe they should wear name tags on their butts too?

My foot was really swelling at this point too, it hasn't done that for awhile. I'd almost forgotten that I had that problem. I probably shouldn't have checked the watch but I did and saw at 120k already that my time was not going to be too good. I had high hopes of smoking out a good time, but it just wasn't happening. At the top of yellow lake knowing I had the long down hill I started feeling a bit better. It's nice knowing your close and absolutely letter rip on the way down. I barely touched the brakes at all and the nice zipp wheels held out fine sweeping in and out of the turns. I felt like a Tour de France rider. I musta hit 90km for sure, I passed people like they were standing still. There was even a near 180 degree turn going down and I barely touched the brakes going through that and remember passing a couple more people even in the turn. I guess maybe I was trying to make up some time? Or maybe just enjoyed going so fast? I could hear the whistle of the wheels with the wind hitting them somtimes even from the side, but I kept away from the brakes.

Back into town the feet were hurting still I prepared mentally for the run. The temp still wasn't too hot. There were a couple times around Richter and in the rollers where the sun came out and it felt warm, but for the most part I think it was cloudy? There must have been some sun out there cause I have a nasty burn by the seam of my pants. The space between the racing top and the shorts. This time I got out of my shoes properly before the run and came in nicely both feet on one pedal like Greg had instructed.

I had a touch of problems finding my bag, funny how the simplist of tasks can be so hard when your head is hazy. So finally failing and trying to find my line of bag numbers I just yelled it out and someone grabbed it for me, hee hee the volunteers are second to none here. Thanks a lot you guys/gals!!! This change went pretty quick and I headed out onto the run course. 2:46 was my transition time and my bike time with transitions was 5:46. I must admit I was a bit disappointed with my bike split, I thought I'd be a lot stronger then last year, plus new bike, nice race wheels and only 12 minute improvement. I felt super strong on the climbs, and coming out of T2 I felt good on the run now, so the cycling strength was def. there I just didn't see it in the bike split.

Oh well I was a lil low on fuel exiting T2 so I took a gel and washed it down with some water. I had misplaced my infinit for the start of the run so I just went on what was on the course. and I def. took advantage of it grabbing gaterade to drink, water/sponges/ice for the head. I stuffed ice into my hat to cool off, wow that helped a lot. As I said earlier I felt great heading out and started out with a snappy 7:30, I kept that pace up and my hr was in the low 150s. This was too fast and I had a feeling it was, but I kept going. I think part of me thought my bike time was a little slow and wanted to try to make some time up. I saw more supporters in town. Greg's mom put a smile on my face that lasted for miles. She said somthing like, "Darryl!! I'm Greg's mom he's 30 min ahead of you go catch him!!" I thought that was sooo cool, and it did give me some incentive to keep it going, a sort of carrot to catch. Oh sure I knew I wouldn't actually catch him(or I at least hoped I wouldn't cause that would have been disaster for his race) but it still gave me somthing to think about, at least seeing him on his way back. I also saw Chad and of course Lisa, they cheered and helped to keep my spirits up. I was doing 7:30's I could do no wrong, on the slight down hill out of town I even ran a 7:25.

But then things started to get tough, comin out of town the wind had picked up and much of the section along skaha lake is unprotected from the south wind. We had to buck quite a tough wind here. I had to pee quite bad by this point(I waited till I was out of town) didn't want to use a porta potty so I just went in the bushes on the side of the road. I'm sure it was quick but I noticed even then stopping and feeling a bit dizzy, then starting out again some of the spring in my steps was gone. It's oh oh time, I stopped measuring the miles and focused on my running, one step at a time. The wind was so strong I'd tuck in behind a fellow runner to block the wind. I think the one guy got a bit annoyed and tryed to drop me a few times. I made it to aprox 11 miles I think right at the rolling hills before I had to take my first walk break, up a steep hill. My legs were toast, and I knew I didn't have enough calories in me too. Hmmmmm 150 bpm is probably pretty bad for digesting anything. Oh well lesson learnt, the biggest most important thing in IM racing I've learnt is to have a plan, try to follow it, but know when to scrap it and adjust it. Here I had to change my race plan, I hit up the special needs. My adjustment was slowwww down take in more calories, keep the hr down for now till you can injest them properly. So I took my red bull once again ran some more but kept the pace down(didn't really have a choice here anyways heh heh) on the way back along the lake again I hit up the aid stations like an all you can eat buffet. I noticed they had water melon and it looked soooo tasty, I went for it literally. At one point I hit one aid station, a boy handed me a little piece and I grabbed it as well as two handfuls from the tray behind him, wolfed them down, then took a few steps and promptly went to the other side of the road and ate a pile more water melon from that aid station too. I allowed myself to walk to the next corner, then started to run again.

So this is where I had to walk at aid stations and I think I also added one more walk too aside from the buffet. As I ran I could feel the full tummy and the fact that my asthma didn't like so much work to do, digest and run at the same time. The hr was now at around the 120-130 mark while running which allowed it to break down the food/coke(forgot to mention I got into the coke at around mile 10) Well just before town, I walked a bit of the last hill and got to running. Now I started to come around, started to up the pace, hmmmm you can get back from a calorie defficet. Woooo hooooo I knew I could do this. This is where the rain started to come down and I kept running, probably back up to the 7:45-8 min pace again. It felt good to make the final climb in the center of town and get back onto main street. I hoped that there would be more cheers, but I think everyone had moved onto the finish.

Onto winnipeg and the lake shore drive(or w/e it's called) and to the last turn around. Into town I was once again running through aid stations. What a feeling to come back from what seemed like a total melt down and to recover enough to finish strong like this. Running out from the finish(you have to run out away from it, turn around and come back to finish) I'd look far ahead to see the turn around. I eventually saw it, but as I got closer I realized we got to run a lil further and that was the initial turn around for the start of the run. Eventually I saw it, just a little further, make the turn and back around the shore to the finish. My feet somehow carried me, I'm not sure how, but they did. I could hear Mike Reilly's voice calling me home.

Once again to finish my second Ironman in a personal best time of 10:46:19. My run time was 3:49 even with the walking!! Woooo hoooo it's all done, I stumbled and nearly fell over as the catchers "caught" me. They stayed with me and made sure I was ok to sit and recover before they left. Eventually I did go for a massage, I felt sick almost like throwing up but I didn't. I couldn't eat the pizza, I instead drank one of the power bar energy drinks. I met up with Lisa, she was happy to see me(I was happy to get that much deserved hug), she had told me she was yelling at the finish, but I didn't hear it. As you'll see in the finish pics when I get them, I was quite out of it. But that's what IM is all about, layin it all out there. Everyone does their best, some faster, some slower. The important part is that we finish. I'm sure everyone learnt more about themselves. I wonder how many thought of Simon W. when things got tough. I sure did, I thought of him tossing his hat aside and refusing to go quietly into that dark night(with 4th place that is). So in my own way I kinda saw the dreams of makin 10:30 slip away, that was my A race, my ideal race. I think it was doable, but it just didn't happen on the day. I'm really proud though, I thought the B(sub 11) goal was going too and I had to fight off the negative thoughts, regroup, fuel up properly so I could finish strong. I must have made up a bunch of time at the end and even passed a few people that had passed me earlier. The C goal as Greg states is the most important, which for me too was to finish.

To all of you I saw out on the race course thank you so much for all your words of encouragement. They helped more then you will ever know, I'm sorry I couldn't say much more, I really tryed. My thoughts and well wishes were definatly with you as we crossed paths. It sounds like most of you that I've heard from did sooooo well. Congratz too all, I'm soo proud of everyone of you. Cheers,

Darryl

14 comments:

Keith said...

Wow, what a great day you had, to push through your issues and put it all together. Nice report!

Susi said...

what an amazing day for you darryl! i'm so proud of all you accomplished!! i love that you stayed in the moment and realized when you needed to make adjustments - that is HUGE in IM racing. YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!!!

big hugs to ya!

i am Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
i am Susan said...

Had to delete my last comment as it was all messed up...apparantly I still have IM brain. I just want to say great job. I know you will reach your 10:30 goal one day (soon). It's all about finishing what you start.

Charlie Browne said...

Great race darryl...i helped susi mark you up!!

Anonymous said...

good race,Your time has sparked me up for AZ.Anything racewise planned for the fall?Did ya enter for next year???

Lisa Ulrich said...

Wow what an awesome day you had!! That is an amazing time, a PB nonetheless and you were really close to your 'A' goal time of 10:30! Great Job! Are you signing up for another one next year??

Julie said...

Congratulations Darryl! What a great swim you had too!! :) :)

Way to fight back the demons and wolf down that watermelon -- you are AMAZING!!

:):) :) :) :) :) :)

Shannon Wicks said...

Congratz on your finish and great race report.

Watched you throughout the day!

Iron Greg said...

What a day - huge improvement from last year!! Great job!!
And we are just scratching the surface here - onward to the next challenge (whatever it may be)!!!

CurtisV said...

Terrific race report buddy! You had a fantastic race, but the cool thing is you still have lots of room to go even faster as Iron Greg says! It was a pleasure swimming at the Y, doing long runs at the res and of course doing the epic (slightly late starting) bike rides together! I have a full year of memories to make my smile and feel fortunate when I'm having a rough day. Hope you enjoy the down time and you and Lisa have a blast in Hawaii!

Aquaman

Trevor Oseen said...

Fantastic race man! I wish I could have flipped sides of the road and trailed you back into town.

We'll have to get out for those long runs this year. Suz and I start our 18 weeks to Goofy Challenge next on the 8th!

Jenna said...

great report. Sounds like you and I had the same happy kind of swim. Not like the violent one at gwn. I wish I could love the hills like you do... And wasn't that watermelon the bestest ever??? Sounds like u played all your cards correctly! Well done!!

kelsey said...

I was so excited to see you that far on the run! It was such a fantastic day I'm glad all that time in lake sundance helped with such an awesome swim for you congrats again!