Friday, August 21, 2009

I love taper time!!!

"Optimism means expecting the best, but confidence means knowing how to handle the worst. Never make a move if you are merely optimistic."

My favorite time of the year.... TAPER TIME!!!! As you train for an event you sorta just get used to being tired and/or sore all the time. Especially with the running, I could probably count on one hand, or two how many times I've run on truely fresh legs. They're always tired from cycling. Why is that anyways?? Running doesn't hurt Cycling! Probably the same reason Cycling holds running fitness, but not the other way around, or at least I think the two questions are related. Anywho I don't think I've ever felt this ready to go. I feel so strong I'm really getting the racing itch. Yesterday Greg, Leslie, Adrian and I headed out for a ride. I was to do 8min, 6, 6, 4, 4 on with plenty of rest between. The pace started off pretty easy, the first 8, 6 I went ahead on my own riding at a comfortable IM pace, maybe a touch faster. Then coming back Greg went ahead giving me a carrot to chase, so the pace/effort went up quite a bit in the second 6 min. Then the last 2 4 min intervals were almost all out. Then in the recovery I did a couple 20sec sprints. Good short, yet still hard. I was a bit sore getting up this morning, but not really tired tired? With all this rest I feel sooooo good, and yet sooooo fit I just love it. Every session feels good, I feel so strong. I'm as fit as I ever have been, the work is done eh. It's reassuring to know that my body knows what to do, I just have to unleash the fury!!!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I feel the same way -- I'm really enjoying this feeling of STRENGTH. It is so unbelievably awesome!! :) :)

Lisa Ulrich said...

You are so ready! Now go out and kill it next weekend in Penticton!